Vista Ultimate - wont boot! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I need some help please.  I have had until now a very succesful dual booting system with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Suddenly vista wont boot any more - it starts to boot, gets about halfway, then stops.

I have tried inserting the installation DVD but that boots up as far as the background colours and then it stops so I cannot repair it that way.

XP still boots fine, I have checked the bios and updated it. Vista is on the C drive and I can access that drive from the D drive with XP. So it does not seem to be the hard drive at fault especially so when the installation DVD wont boot either.

Can anyone please suggest what I should do?

Friday, November 2, 2007 10:52 AM

Answers

•  

Hi concord6 and TheBigBadViolist,

Thank you for the post.

TheBigBadViolist, as your issue is not the same as concord6’s, to reduce confusion and improve efficiency, I suggest you to post a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.

concord6, let’s focus on your issue now.

Currently, if you have a Windows XP installation disk, please try to boot from it to test the issue.

Note: Ensure that system is booting from the CD/DVD-ROM drive. To configure your computer to boot from the media refer to the documentation that is included with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

If the computer cannot boot from the Windows XP disk either, it is likely the DVD drive is damaged. In this case, you may use another DVD drive to test the result.

If the computer can boot from the disk, the cause of the issue can be corrupt DVD drive or Windows Vista installation disk. Please also try another DVD drive to test the result.

If it is inconvenient for you to get another DVD drive, I would like to provide the following suggestions:

1. Back up your important files on the Windows Vista drive from the Windows XP system.

2. Boot from the Windows XP disk and format the Windows Vista drive.

3. Enter Windows XP, and copy the Windows Vista installation files from the Windows Vista disk to the local hard drive.

4. Use the Windows Vista installation files on the local hard drive to install Windows Vista again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:23 AM
  • Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:50 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem, heres what happened to me;

I was having some trouble with my audio drivers (no sound when using enhancments such as SRS) so I decided to reinstall my drivers. Simple enough right? Well I went to dell.com downloaded the correct drivers, uninstalled the old and installed the new. Restart. Oops? After the splash screen with the microsoft logo it just sits with a black screen and my mouse. I can control my mouse but no commands will work. So I did the following... (and I've already contacted dell and thanks to a tech support genius from India (out-sourcing jobs, way to go dell!)) it is worse than it started out(I'll explain).

(all of this was done in safe mode which still works)
    1. tried last known good configuration
    2. system restore to before i uninstalled the original driver
    3. virus/spyware scan
    4. registry fixer
    5. checked the HDD for errors
    6. tried to boot from DVD to use the repair function but vista now will not boot from the install DVD either again stays on the splash screen (this time a vista theme wall-paper but still just the mouse and nothing happening)

So I called Dell tech support and they had my uninstall my video driver (7600GT 163.69), I restarted and no help. They then had me go to BIOS and load defaults which causes me to get a "diskette drive 0 seek failure" every time I start the computer and I presume my media card reader does not work because windows update installed a floppy disk driver isntead. After loading defaults it still will not boot. After giving me the run around the tech said he would have to email me a solution when they researched the problem further. BUT MY PC STILL WILL NOT BOOT! I have don everything I can think of. I looked online and the only suggestion I have found is let it sit long enough to work itself out... so its been sitting about an hour now and still on a pitch black screen with the mouse in the middle.

Any suggestions?

My specs-
    AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB 667Mhz Ram
    320GB WD HDD (two 150GB partitions)
    XFX 7600GT
    crappy dell mobo (nForce 410 i think)[audio is intigrated suposidly 7.1 HD audio)

P.S. I'm tired of troubleshooting vista, it seems like every time I get everything working right another major problem pops up. I have re-installed vista so many times that my copied cds will not play due to the 10 liscence download limit on WMA format. Last time I ever use windows media player to copy a cd. Microsoft has really dropped the ball on vista. I love the new features (especially start menu search[btw that will be in SP3 of XP, if only I had known!]) but it looks like M$ dropped a beta on us and we were stupid enough not to wait for SP1. As always the early adopters get burnt. I am a gamer and DX10 is only on vista so for the future its the only option. I am ranting here but M$ goes so far to protect the big media corperations that they burn the end user's performance with tons of anti-piracy *** built into the OS. I am no pirate and I don't agree with the pirates but when it comes to hurting the performace of my PC thats crossing the line. With vista M$ sold out big time and even after selling out they only delivered a so-so at best OS. Not to mention, the vista certified scandal watch out if it says vista ready/certified I have found "vista ready" devices and software that "works with vista" are at best a 50-50 shot. After paying 200-400$ for an OS (Does anyone else think that price is rediculous by the way?) I was certianly expecting more.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:29 AM
  •  

Hi concord6 and TheBigBadViolist,

Thank you for the post.

TheBigBadViolist, as your issue is not the same as concord6’s, to reduce confusion and improve efficiency, I suggest you to post a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.

concord6, let’s focus on your issue now.

Currently, if you have a Windows XP installation disk, please try to boot from it to test the issue.

Note: Ensure that system is booting from the CD/DVD-ROM drive. To configure your computer to boot from the media refer to the documentation that is included with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

If the computer cannot boot from the Windows XP disk either, it is likely the DVD drive is damaged. In this case, you may use another DVD drive to test the result.

If the computer can boot from the disk, the cause of the issue can be corrupt DVD drive or Windows Vista installation disk. Please also try another DVD drive to test the result.

If it is inconvenient for you to get another DVD drive, I would like to provide the following suggestions:

1. Back up your important files on the Windows Vista drive from the Windows XP system.

2. Boot from the Windows XP disk and format the Windows Vista drive.

3. Enter Windows XP, and copy the Windows Vista installation files from the Windows Vista disk to the local hard drive.

4. Use the Windows Vista installation files on the local hard drive to install Windows Vista again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:23 AM
  • Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:50 PM
  •  

Hi concord6,  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:04 AM