none
Command Line Works but Software Center doesn't RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

We have some issues with installing some applications with the software center. 

The application I'm using as an example here is spotify, although the problem isn't liminited to this application. This is why I'm making a thread here and not on the spotify forums.

Also, not all applications have this problem. 

In this example, the application seems to install very slowly and is not detected afterwards (even with correct detection methods). I've looked into the "AppEnforce.log" and saw that the application had an exit code 1 wich is considered an execution failure (This also is shown in the error). There's just a transparent window for a very long time. After that the window opens but the application is not installed (not able to look it up with search).

What's very weird about that, is if I execute the command (in an unelevated cmd) that sccm uses for the installation, the installation is fast and works with every application I've tried. 

Here's a link to client application log files to this post and heres my deployment type configuration:

If you need more information, I'll be glad to provide it. 

Hope you can help... I really don't know where to look for the problem.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you try to contact the vendor of this application for more help and support. Because only they know best (and most authoritatively) what command line or parameters should be used.
    I tried a search using Google, and then I found that the following post discusses some things related to the installation command, hope it helps you.
    Please also note that because this post is from a third-party author rather than an official Microsoft document, Microsoft cannot provide you with any guarantee.
    I suggest that you first practice this on a test environment before doing it on your production environment, also do backup all related things before make changes.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 12, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Exit code 1 generally means "Incorrect function" and is specific to the command-line you have configured; what this command-line does when ConfigMgr calls it is thus outside the scope of control or visibility of ConfigMgr.

Reviewing any logs produced by this command-line or adding logging to the command-line may help (this of course is also specific to that command-line so we can't tell you exactly what this will be for your command-line).

On occasion, we see developers make poor choices and create their installers to return other exit codes (instead of 0) to mean success. I can't tell you if that's happening here or not. If it is, that's easy enough to add to the return codes page of the deployment type.

Finally, note that the detection method is irrelevant if the command-line does not return a success code.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, June 12, 2020 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try to contact the vendor of this application for more help and support. Because only they know best (and most authoritatively) what command line or parameters should be used.
    I tried a search using Google, and then I found that the following post discusses some things related to the installation command, hope it helps you.
    Please also note that because this post is from a third-party author rather than an official Microsoft document, Microsoft cannot provide you with any guarantee.
    I suggest that you first practice this on a test environment before doing it on your production environment, also do backup all related things before make changes.

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 12, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Exit code 1 generally means "Incorrect function" and is specific to the command-line you have configured; what this command-line does when ConfigMgr calls it is thus outside the scope of control or visibility of ConfigMgr.

Reviewing any logs produced by this command-line or adding logging to the command-line may help (this of course is also specific to that command-line so we can't tell you exactly what this will be for your command-line).

On occasion, we see developers make poor choices and create their installers to return other exit codes (instead of 0) to mean success. I can't tell you if that's happening here or not. If it is, that's easy enough to add to the return codes page of the deployment type.

Finally, note that the detection method is irrelevant if the command-line does not return a success code.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, June 12, 2020 2:02 PM