Vista Performance Monitor Counters - Help Needed RRS feed

• Question

• When in the Vista Peformance Monitor you should be able to click the green + sign (add [counters]),and then add whatever counters you wish to monitor. Various guides and articles (including those written by Microsoft themselves) suggest that you can just click the counter you want from the list of categories shown in the dialogue box. It all seems very simple.

Except none of these guides or articles mention what I see.

I see a weird list of counters, weird because it is so specific and so incomplete. The list includes counters from categories such as: 'Fax service; Generic IKE and AuthIP; HTTP Service; IPsec AuthIPv4 etc etc.' All relate to networking and communication.

BUT WHERE OH WHERE have my bread and butter, vanilla counters gone?? Where are the memory counters, the disk counters and the processor counters? I can't select them because THEY AREN'T IN THE DIALOGUE BOX. This is so frustrating, why aren't they there?

I can see the categories I want listed under Data Collector Sets/System/System Performance/Peformance Counter, but I can't add any of the counters listed there to the Performance Monitor. Also note that if I go to Data Collector Sets/User Defined and try to make a new data collector set THEN I AGAIN FIND THE SAME RIDICULOUSLY LOBOTOMISED list of counters.

Please, I would be very grateful if someone could explain to me what is going on. I should just be able to add ordinary counters directly to the peformance monitor by clicking on the big green +. Why can't I?

I am completely at a loss. XP Peformance Logs and Alerts seemed straight forward by comparison.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:17 PM

All replies

•  

I have the same problem. And I've read other users in some forums with the same problem: Available Counters are very few and limited to networking. No CPU %, memory etc. etc.

How do I reset/enable back them?

-20 mins later-

SOLVED!!!

Just run Prompt as Admin and type: lodctr /r

This will rebuild the list of available counters! How simple, phew...

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:11 PM