none
Document Previews or Office Documents not hosted on Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I've installed Office Web Apps and the previews are working fine, but I am crawling other sources besides sharepoint 2010, such as lotus notes, which contains office documents.

Is there a way to create a document preview for them as well?

Thanks,

Amir

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• It did't support document preview without sharepoint document.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:40 PM
  • I believe there is, but it's complicated

According to Michael Svenson's article

http://techmikael.blogspot.com/2011/05/document-thumbnails-and-powerpoint.html

There a javascript file search.js which connects to Outlook Web Apps API and creates the previews on the client side. Maybe there's a way to send the documents who are not hosted as well.

If possible, it will require some digging, and some coding, but I thought maybe someone found some other solution.

Amir

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Amir,

the blogpost you mentioned still requires that the content resides in SharePoint.

BAInsight has advanced document preview technology that supports document preview for many file formats (office types, pdf, images, tiff, emails (msg, eml) etc and regardless of their location.

http://www.bainsight.com/Pages/sharepoint-fast-search-document-features.aspx

sNjY
    • Marked as answer by Amir at eWave Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:52 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Vizit Essential has the ability to view documents from other repositories. Vizit Essential will display document thumbnails and a full doc viewer in search results as well as in Document Libraries. Vizit also has an advanced API that lets you customize Vizit any way you need to. You can even add Vizit viewing into non-SharePoint web apps!

Document thumbnails and views are generated in lighting speeds at request time. There is no need to go through a time-consuming process to make a duplicate copy of every document in the content database. Install Vizit and it just starts working.

Check it out your self at Vizit Essential Live Demo

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:49 PM