Copying to disk is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit at a loss here, as I've never experienced anything like this.

I've got a SSD on which the OS resides, and a regular, 1 TB HDD where I keep the data.

If I try to copy large amounts of data to the 1 TB HDD it starts off BLAZINGLY fast, almost... too fast (500 MB/s). Unfortunately, it slows down to a crawl at the end (16 MB/s). After the copy process is done, the HDD light is still flickering like mad, and if I try to run an application like HD Tune, it'll report the drive to have a weak 16 MB/s speed (normally it's around 200 MB/s).

Only after a minute or two, does the HDD light stop flashing like mad, and the system returns back to normal.

During the whole time Performance Manager reports only the System process to do any major disk operations - and it continues doing them well after the file should have been copied.

What could be wrong here?

Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like give you the following suggestions to try:

• Check the issue in safe mode.
      • Perform a Chkdsk checking.
      • Please make sure you close Anti-virus software when you copy.
      • Please make sure all your drive partitions are NTFS
      • Reinstall  all the Universal Serial Bus controllers in your Device Manger
      • Uncheck Remote Differential Compression in your Windows Features. Windows Features can be found at Control Panel> Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on or off
      • Disable the background intelligent transfer service in your Services Manager.
      • Use another HDD disk for test. If the problem don’t occur, it’s probably like your hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:39 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 9:31 AM