Why are some emails re-downloaded from Verizon (AOL) server to Outlook 2016 causing doubles? RRS feed

• Question

• A strange problem has started about two months ago, and it happens randomly.

I have been running Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 (version 16.0.9029.2253) and have 4 Verizon email accounts.  All converted without any problems from Verizon to AOL servers about six months ago.  I have my Outlook parameters set to delete email from server if over 90 days and/or when Deleted from "Deleted Items" inside Outlook 2016.

For some reason, those emails that are still on the Verizon / AOL server (and already had been downloaded and read but NOT deleted), get re-downloaded onto my Outlook 2016 at random times.  Maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

I have double checked all of my Outlook settings and it all looks correct.   Attached are 3 screenshots showing the latest issue.   Outlook downloaded these on March 27, I read them, decided to keep them and for some reason, they were re-downloaded again on March 31 (today) as new emails (but in reality, repeats).

The only way that I can deal with this is when these double emails shows up, I then choose to put them into the DELETED ITEMS, meaning when it's deleted, it's gone from the SERVER too -- which kills the whole idea of having a back-up of the needed emails for 90 days on the server. 

I also check my email on my Samsung S7 phone, and I DO NOT have these re-download issues.   So, I am assuming it's an Outlook 2016 problem?

This is happening on all 4 Verizon/AOL email accounts.

Anyone have any input as to what is happening?    And possible solutions?

Saturday, March 31, 2018 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

What's your account type? POP or IMAP?

Do you have some anti-virus software running? If yes, please try temporarily closing them to check the result.

In case there was a corrupted date file, we could repair Outlook data files to see if issue continues. Please refer to the steps in this article.

Besides, you can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

What's more, do you have this option "Leave a copy of messages on the server" selected on all devices?

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, April 2, 2018 6:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:18 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2018 6:20 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I actually thought that the problem went away, but alas not.  Here is the new post with further information on my problem.  I did reply there to some of your questions:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/91b545ff-1750-4703-a3a7-ed008ee4825b/why-does-my-outlook-2016-redownload-already-read-emails-into-inbox-every-3-weeks-from-the-server?forum=outlook

If you can please reply there, that would be great.   You can delete this topic and just reply there.

Thanks

Saturday, April 28, 2018 9:08 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thank you for your update.

We will deal with your new thread.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, April 30, 2018 6:37 AM