none
Help buttons in dialog boxes no longer working in MSP 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the trial version of Project 2010.

Whenever I click on the help button in a dialog box, a window pops up and shows the table of contents for help rather than help for the dialog box I am using. Is this expected behavior?

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:17 AM

Answers

• 69L46 --

One more thought on the Help system in Microsoft Project 2010.  If you want help with a particular column, such as the Duration column for example, float your mouse pointer over that column and then press the F1 function key when you see the floating tooltip.  This action will take you directly to the Help article on that column.  You must have Help connected to Office.com for that to work, however.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by 69L46 Monday, October 10, 2011 6:03 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• 69L46 --

Yes, this is the new look of the Help system in Microsoft Project 2010.  It is definitely a change from previous versions.  To take the most advantage of the Help available in Microsoft Project 2010, look in the lower right corner of your Help window and make sure you see the Connected to Office.com indicator.  If you see an Offline indicator instead, click the Offline indicator and then select the "Show content from Office.com" item on the pick list menu.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Friday, October 7, 2011 1:33 AM
  •  To take the most advantage of the Help available in Microsoft Project 2010, look in the lower right corner of your Help window and make sure you see the Connected to Office.com indicator.  If you see an Offline indicator instead, click the Offline indicator and then select the "Show content from Office.com" item on the pick list menu.  Hope this helps.

I get the help main menu whether online or offline.

What used to take milliseconds before (click on the help button in a dialog box and get help on the dialog box) now is rendered useless.

For instance, I am on the advanced tab of the Task Information dialog box. I want to double-check what the task type settings do before I finish creating or editing my task. There used to be a help page that listed all of the options in the Task Information doalog box. I cannot find this help page. How do I find this information in the new help "system"?

Here is the list of results if I search for: Task Information dialog box

Search results for: task information dialog box

Create a milestone

Article A milestone is a reference point that marks a major event in a project and is used to monitor the project's progress. Any task with zero duration is automatical...

Enter costs for resources

Article Show All Hide All Microsoft Project 2010 calculates the costs for resources based upon a number of factors and resource types. What do you want to do? Introduct...

Outline tasks into subtasks and summary tasks

Article You can break down your task list to make it appear more organized and readable by indenting and outdenting the project's tasks to create an outline of the summ...

Distribute project work evenly (level resource assignments)

Article Show All Hide All Do some of your work resources (work resource: People and equipment resources that perform work to accomplish a task. Work resources consume t...

Add resources to the enterprise resource pool

Article The enterprise resource pool contains people and other resources that are shared by groups across your organization. In Microsoft Project Professional 2010, you...

Filter tasks or resources

Article Show All Hide All Project 2010 three ways to filter the tasks or resources in your project provides predefined filters (filter: Specifies which task or resource...

Project management goal: Manage costs and the budget

Article If your project contains cost information for budgeting or for tracking project performance, this information isn’t doing you much good unless you can view and ...

Format the bar chart of a Gantt Chart view

Article Gantt bars look simple enough, but they can get confusing as projects get complex. Customizing the bars on a Gantt Chart view is often the first thing a project...

See what's driving the project finish date (critical path)

Article One of the first steps in managing projects is discovering how the end date of the project changes as tasks and resource requirements change. Welcome to the cr...

Add resources to your project

Article Resources are typically people included in your project plan, whether or not they are assigned to tasks. However, a resource could also include anything that is...

How scheduling works in Project

Article Understand how Project scheduls the tasks in your project. You'll also understand how to control the scheduling through changing scheduling options.

Create a calendar for a task within Project

Article Create a calendar for a task Tasks can have their own calendars. By default, tasks are scheduled based upo n the project calendar . To define unique or spe...

Set working times, vacations, and holidays for your project

Article Use the project calendar to show resource availability during working hours. You can also show non-working hours like breaks, weekends, or holidays.

Create and schedule a new project

Article When you create a new project, you can choose to schedule the project from a start date or a finish date , and you can define file properties to help you org...

Keyboard shortcuts for Project 2010

Article Show All Hide All The keyboard shortcuts described in this Help topic refer to the U.S. keyboard layout. Keys on other layouts might not correspond exactly to t...

Enable the use of other languages in your Office programs

Article Change the keyboard layout, proofing tools, display elements (such as ribbon items), and ScreenTips to other languages in your Office 2010 programs.

Create or update a baseline or an interim plan

Article A well-managed project often involves comparing a project to earlier version of it. This is a critical part of tracking your project. Before you start tracking ...

Save a project

Article You can save a project plan in many useful file formats , including previous versions of Microsoft Project, Microsoft Excel workbooks, and templates that can be...

Review the progress of your schedule

Article As your project progresses, you can review how work on its tasks is affecting the overall project schedule . What do you want to do? Review schedule differen...

Learn the Project 2010 Ribbon

Article Show All Hide All What happened to the menus and toolbars? In Microsoft Project 2010, they have been replaced with the Ribbon, which helps you quickly find the ...

What's new in Microsoft Project 2010

Article Microsoft Project 2010 has a shiny new interface, but that's not all. Under the hood, it contains powerful new scheduling, task management, and view improvement...

Accessibility in Microsoft Project

Article Show All Hide All Microsoft is committed to making its products and services easier for everyone to use. Many accessibility (accessible: The quality of a given ...

View my privacy options

Article For Office 2010 programs, this article describes the privacy options for features that you might want to use.

Use different languages on your computer at work

Article Show All Hide All Stefan works in a multinational German corporation, and his main computer has a physical German keyboard. Stefan usually works in German, but ...

Use different languages on your computer at school

Article Depending on what you want to do and what languages you want to use, you can

Why does it think that I am interested in using different languages but not interested in the task information dialog box?

Friday, October 7, 2011 7:21 PM
  • 69L46 --

I have no argument with your frustration with the new Help system in Microsoft Project 2010.  However, I do not work for Microsoft, so I cannot even begin to explain why it works the way it does.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:53 PM
  • 69L46 --

One more thought on the Help system in Microsoft Project 2010.  If you want help with a particular column, such as the Duration column for example, float your mouse pointer over that column and then press the F1 function key when you see the floating tooltip.  This action will take you directly to the Help article on that column.  You must have Help connected to Office.com for that to work, however.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Marked as answer by 69L46 Monday, October 10, 2011 6:03 PM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Thanks, Dale!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:04 PM
  • 69L46 --

You are more than welcome, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Monday, October 10, 2011 11:22 PM