none
Group policy not applying after moving pc to OU

Question

• Hi All,

I have an OU called "Desktops" which didnt have any computers in it.

(The computer was actually in the "Computers" OU section of the AD)

Anyway, I applied a GP to "Desktops" for "user1" to be a local administrator for win7PC1. After realizing my mistake I moved Win7PC1 to the "Desktops" OU.

So since I moved the PC to the OU (but after I made the GP) should the new PC get the GP applied to it automatically?

After doing this I check the "local Administrators" in the win7pc1 but didnt see "user1" listed as an Administrator.

- I tired using gpupdate /force on win7pc1

- I tried rebooting win7pc1

- I tried rebooting Windows Server 2012 r2

But still no results.

After this I just deleted the GP and created the exact same GP again and this time it worked! "user1" was listed as an Administrator

Can anyone please explain why the GP didnt apply to the win7pc1 the first time?

How long does it usually take for new objects in a OU to have their GP updated? is there a way to change the time if so?

Thanks!

p.s. if you need more info from me pls ask

Thursday, February 04, 2016 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> So since I moved the PC to the OU (but after I made the GP) should the new PC get the GP applied to it automatically?

Yes, it is probably a matter of time.

>>Can anyone please explain why the GP didnt apply to the win7pc1 the first time?

In my experience, it may be due to replication. Replication takes place between DCs when you move an object to different OU.

>> How long does it usually take for new objects in an OU to have their GP updated?

Group policy automatically refresh at a 90min interval, but you could force them using gpudate. But it also depends on replication as I said above

>> is there a way to change the time if so?

Sure, you could configure it under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy. Please see details from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940895.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by HillMike Saturday, February 06, 2016 12:24 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2016 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> So since I moved the PC to the OU (but after I made the GP) should the new PC get the GP applied to it automatically?

Yes, it is probably a matter of time.

>>Can anyone please explain why the GP didnt apply to the win7pc1 the first time?

In my experience, it may be due to replication. Replication takes place between DCs when you move an object to different OU.

>> How long does it usually take for new objects in an OU to have their GP updated?

Group policy automatically refresh at a 90min interval, but you could force them using gpudate. But it also depends on replication as I said above

>> is there a way to change the time if so?

Sure, you could configure it under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy. Please see details from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940895.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by HillMike Saturday, February 06, 2016 12:24 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Thanks very much for all your help
    Saturday, February 06, 2016 12:31 PM