none
Using sysdate in Inbound Rule RRS feed

• Question

• Expert,

I am creating Inbound Rule for data coming from a text file.

For employee status logic is:-

employee end date>today's date=Active

Employee end date<today's date=Inactive

How do I get today's date in Inbound Rule?

Thanks,

Mann 

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hello.

In the solutions below you dont import "today's date". Just Employee start date and Employee end date.

There is many ways to do this. One is to do it with sets, workflows and MPR in FIM Service.

If not using FIM Service/Portal another way of doing this is to use SQL like this.

1. Export the objects to a SQL.

2. Have a View of that table witch poulate the status attribute using the rules you have.

3. Have another MA to import from the SQL view to MV.

/Robert

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Thanks Robert!

'Today's date' is not coming in File. My main challenge is to get today's date.

How can I get 'today's date' in inbound flow. Once I have this date I can see comparison function.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Mann

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:34 PM
  • While there are techniques to include the current date as part of your inbound flow (such as using a rules extension), you probably don't want to do this. It would require you to run a Full Synchronization every time. This is because if you include the current date as part of your synchronization rule, the delta logic in the synchronization engine won't know that the time has changed and won't perform the flow on a delta synchronization.

[As Robert suggested above:]

More likely what you want to do is flow in the Employee End Date, flow it out to the FIM Service, and use a temporal based Set to compare the Employee End Date to the current date. You would then use a Transition In MPR to cause whatever action you wanted when the termination date arrives. A sample action would be to set the Employee Status to "Inactive". The Set definition would be something like "Employee End Date is prior to Today".

If you aren't using the FIM Service, then you would want to either use PowerShell or similar to add another column to your text file that contains the "Active/Inactive" flag (and let PowerShell do the date comparisons with "today") or create another management agent that would receive the Employee End Date, compare it to the current date, and return an attribute with the "Active/Inactive" flag. This sort of management agent is called an "Auxiliary" management agent or a "Loopback" management agent and was a popular solution prior to FIM in the MIIS/ILM days (actually it still is a popular solution.)

Rex

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:49 PM