Right Click from jump list fails intermittently so recent items cannot be selected RRS feed

• Question

• I have suddenly begun having a problem with not being able to select any of the options from the jump list upon right clicking. The jump list simply sinks back. Furthermore, if I left click > select a program whilst there is an active window open (in another program) the new program's window comes to the front but dissapears to the back as soon as the mouse's focus on the pinned program is moved away.

I have set up a new user under which this problem does not occur. I have run under a clean boot/startup but the proble persists.

Is anyone aware of resetting the registry to clear this problem.

Many thanks

Asanam
    Win7x64+Aero
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

System restore can be under consideration at the first place.

As the issue does not occur in new user account, the current user profile may contain corrupt files or registry, better transfer your personal data to the new account to avoid unexpected issues.

If you would like to troubleshoot the issue, I suggest disable Aero by choosing windows classic theme to check the result.

By default, most of the jump list history is saved under %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations as *.automaticDestinations-ms files. For Example, adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms is for WORD.
    The Item that pinned to taskbar was saved under %APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Click Start, copy "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" (without quotation marks) to the search command line and Enter. In the open window, simpley delete all the items side and check the result again.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

System restore can be under consideration at the first place.

As the issue does not occur in new user account, the current user profile may contain corrupt files or registry, better transfer your personal data to the new account to avoid unexpected issues.

If you would like to troubleshoot the issue, I suggest disable Aero by choosing windows classic theme to check the result.

By default, most of the jump list history is saved under %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations as *.automaticDestinations-ms files. For Example, adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms is for WORD.
    The Item that pinned to taskbar was saved under %APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Click Start, copy "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" (without quotation marks) to the search command line and Enter. In the open window, simpley delete all the items side and check the result again.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Thanks for your interest, Magon_67.

Done all of these last week but I've returned to the same situation. Switching of Aero, flusing Automatic destinations etc and disabling all non Microsoft shell extension also does not resolve the situation.

There is nothing extraordinary Pinned; just the usual MS Office + MS Win 7 accessories.

So far as I can tell I have finally broken Win7. Just hope it's in the good cause of discovering how some of the 'novelties' work and whether I can recommend Win 7 to clients (over XP).
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Now we may conclude that the registry is the culprit. If you would like to troubleshoot, I suggest run CHKDSK from Start to clear tempf files, run windows live online scan to clear faulty registry as well as malware.

Back up your reigstry first and perform a  free online scan, visit http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm to make sure the system is clean.

If still no go, download the third party registry cleaner and scan your system.

http://www.registry-cleaner.net/windows-7-registry-cleaner.htm
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I had done this too (recreating a new profile) and over a period of a few days the problem recurred. One point I failed  to mention earlier is that Aero completely broke down. In addition to the right-click problem the windowing failed; let me explain. Whilst a window was open in one program, upon opening another-or even when opening a message in Outlook 2007, the windows became hyper-sensitive loosing focus on the newly opened window thus preventing me from working. Difficult to explain but certainly the signs of something broken. And this persisted after I had turned Aero off!

I have now recreated the profile for the second time and will watch out for this behaviour if it recurrs as I continue my customisations such as adding a folder on the network to a library and enabling offline caching, moving the Users profile and offline cache to a separate partition-the sort of things which make Windows 7 a robust and reliable experience.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:26 AM