none
Filter Resource Manager in Resource Center RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all! 

I need check near 1000 work resources and change them: there is no place for resources who is a Timesheet Manager (approver) for himself. Most of my resources has another Timesheet Managers, but somebody (new workers or i've missed them or temporary has no bosses) is approvers for himselfs. 

Can I make a filter for that in Resource Center? 

I can do an filter for specified Timesheet Managers. But I don't find how filter these loopback approvers. Thanks in advance! 

• Edited by umnov Monday, November 10, 2014 3:03 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately the timesheet manager is not a column that you can add into a resource center view, neither in the checked-out resource pool in MS Project. In addition to this, it cannot be added to resources OLAP cubes.

The only solution you have left is to create a custom report using SSRS for example.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Sorry, maybe i use wrong English terms? In my russian Project server 2010 the Timesheet manager means "Управляющий расписаниями" - it means the user who can approve timesheet periods from resources.

This column CAN be added to resource center. Moreover. I can make a filter for specified Timesheet manager. 

But how I can get resources which Timesheet manager is theirselves? It's a question :) 

• Edited by umnov Monday, November 10, 2014 4:50 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Indeed you're write, you can definitely insert the timesheet manager in the resource center view, I was looking at the wrong field with my french translation.

Unfortunately you cannot create dynamic filter in the resource center.

What I'd suggest would be to export data to Excel and to add a column with the following formula like this one, assuming you insert the data in a table.

=if([@[Resource Name]]=[@[Timesheet Manager]];1;0)

Then you just have to filter out results equal to 1.

It is kind of a manual process. If it doesn't suit to your need then it'll require a custom report suing Excel Services or SSRS.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately you cannot have dynamic filtering, for example - "Timesheet Manager equals [Me]" in Project PWA views like you can with SharePoint list views. You could do this with reporting if needed.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Ok, thanks. I hope it was possible. 

So... Answer "no" is the answer too. 

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Thanks, but Excel is useless for me to bulk edit some hundreds of work resources :(
    Monday, November 10, 2014 6:36 PM
  • You're right. Even a report will only give you the list of resource with no timesheet manager (different from themsleves).

Unfortunately I think you have not much options. You'll probably have to start by identifying the culprits with a report and then manually update the resources.

Another way would be to use a 3rd-party tool like FluentPro Books to bulk edit resources.

If any of the above replies were helpful, please mark them as an answer so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:43 PM
  • umnov,

Just to add on to Paul and Guillarme's answers (Which are accurate), here is a 'workaround' for you:

1) Create a temporary Resource Custom Field, to indicate which resources need the change.

2) Use the Excel Method thet Guillarme suggested to identify the resources that need the change.

3) Open all the resources in MS Project Professional, and populate the custom field that you xcreated in step 1, for the resources you identified in Step 1

4) Now you can go close MS project, and go back to Resource Center, and filter for all the resources that you need change using the temp custom field, and then use  "Bulk Edit" option to modify the resource's timesheet manager.

While this may not reduce all the work, this will definitely reduce the over all work. You could even use a variant of this approach, where you populate the custom field with the "real" Timesheet Manager, and then use Bulk Edit to change the real Timesheet Manager field. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:55 PM