Laptop cuts off instantly after a few secs. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dont really know how it happned , but when i lifted the lid all the way open and turned it on it stayed on for about 5 or 6 secs then instantly turned off. Retried booting it many times , but nothing. te only ways it stays on is unless the lid is all the way closed if try to open it , yet again, it will instantly cut off.

Just wonderig if you guys would know how to fix it.

Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Anthlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual -Core Processor TK-55

Presario F700 Compaq Laptop

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 release 6.1

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before moving on, please confirm the following point?

Can you stay in BIOS without reboot?

If you still have reboot issue when entering BIOS, it must be a hardware problem. I suggest you contact your computer manufacturer to address this issue.

If you do not have reboot issue when entering BIOS, it can be a Windows Vista issue.

Do you have DVI, VGA, HDMI or Displayport on the laptop? If possible, I suggest you connect an external display, enter Windows Vista to check Event log.

On the other hand, you also can try to take an In-place Upgrade Installation

In-place Upgrade Installation

===============================

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem. I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:28 AM