none
How to point new DPM at existing remote SQL database RRS feed

• Question

• I had to decommission our current DPM server because of hardware issues. We are using a remote instance of SQL for our database location. I created a new server and got all disks presented from the storage device. I have installed DPM, but don't know how to proceed. Is there a way to point DPM at the database without having to back it up and restore? I do see on the SQL server that the DPM install created a new database even though during the installation of DPM, I said to use existing DB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No - you need to replace the existing (new DPMDB files) with the original.

Assuming the rebuilt DPM Server is using the same NetBIOS name as the original (That is a requirement if using old database) - then make sure the new DPM server is at the same DPM rollup version as the original, then just restore the old DPMDB files over the existing.   Stop and disable DPM service(s) while you replace the DPMDB files. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No - you need to replace the existing (new DPMDB files) with the original.

Assuming the rebuilt DPM Server is using the same NetBIOS name as the original (That is a requirement if using old database) - then make sure the new DPM server is at the same DPM rollup version as the original, then just restore the old DPMDB files over the existing.   Stop and disable DPM service(s) while you replace the DPMDB files. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Mike, as I said, I'm new to DPM, and when you say restore over the existing, do you mean use dbpbackup.exe or is there a different way to restore?
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure how you backed up the original dpm server dpmdb before the rebuild so not an easy way to answer you but the original db files must be made the active db files.  You can use dpmsync -restordb or you can use sql management studio, of if they are native .mdf and .ldf files, then simply stop sql server service, rename the new .mdf and .ldf files and copy the original files in their place.  Check NTFS security to be sure permissions match new file perms and then start sql server services.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:58 AM