MDT and Ref image 30 Days activation period RRS feed

• Question

• I have build my Ref image in VMware using MDT deploy, suspend and capture TS.

I have setup wallpaper when I build the image but after 30 days activation period is over , it has turned the background to Black with warning message that windows needs to be activated. I use KMS for activating windows in our organization so windows get activated during deployment but the back ground stays black even thought it is activated.

I have windows 8.1 and windows 7 enterprise ref images in VMware.

what can be done to get around activation issue on Ref. image.

I used slmgr /rearm to get by it for a while but the issue has come back.

what is it that I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Friday, November 6, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

• Maybe I am trying to solve the wrong problem.

If you are doing a build and capture the 30 day grace period doesn't matter.

If you are letting your Reference machines sit for a long period of time because you choose to capture later (lots of good arguments could be made for this particularly that patching doesn't take forever) activate them.  Sysprep will remove the activation later anyway.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:35 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 12:25 AM

All replies

• Your image isn't activating using the KMS.  That is outside MDT's control.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Friday, November 6, 2015 9:40 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 9:40 PM
  • my image is in fact activating after it has been deployed to a physical machine.

the problem I referred to was my virtual Reference image on my Vmware

Friday, November 6, 2015 9:50 PM
  • My answer still holds. Allow your reference images to activate versus the KMS or use MAK keys.

Friday, November 6, 2015 10:42 PM
  • I think I wasn't able to explain what exactly I meant.

My Refrence Image activates fine via KMS after it is being captured and deployed to production.

My question is about the Ref. Image itself before being captured ( syspreped ) into MDT.

once the 30 days activation period is over, the background changes to black screen with windows not genuine in the corner on my refrence image.

I could fix that by runing slmgr /rearm and changing back the back ground, but after 30 days I will be back to square one.

Again I am talking about Ref. Image before being syspreped or captured.

Thanks

Friday, November 6, 2015 11:57 PM
  • Maybe I am trying to solve the wrong problem.

If you are doing a build and capture the 30 day grace period doesn't matter.

If you are letting your Reference machines sit for a long period of time because you choose to capture later (lots of good arguments could be made for this particularly that patching doesn't take forever) activate them.  Sysprep will remove the activation later anyway.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Saturday, November 7, 2015 1:35 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 12:25 AM
  • yes, I exactly meant the build and capture and 30 days grace period.

can I activate my build image with KMS to get rid of all issue I explained before?

like you said the sysprep will will remove the activation any way, right?

thanks

Saturday, November 7, 2015 12:43 AM
  • What Ty is saying is true. But yes you're perfectly welcome to let it activate. My VMs are on the same network as our KMS so they activate, it just doesn't matter either way as Windows is rearmed when sysprep runs. The only mistake others sometimes make is rearming Windows capturing it and then later rearming it again, etc. You will run into the rearm limit. So long as you create a checkpoint prior to running sysprep, you can roll back and maintain that image indefinitely.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, November 9, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Here is what I do:

I create my image in VM, update windows, install office, make all the changes like setting up background ....., then activate windows using KMS.

at this point I take snapshot and then capture it into MDT.

This process is working so far without having issue on KMS activation or background picture change after image is being deployed.

Thanks

Monday, November 9, 2015 2:54 PM