none
Deploy FIM ontop of Service Manager 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

•    As FIM latest sp1 now supports SQL 2012, so,

Is it possible to install FIM on Service manager management server ?. there are hardware and software requirements but no note on coexistence.

That would save lot of hardware as FIM already relies on Service Manager DW for reporting.

Shahid Roofi

Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can find general considerations for the deployment of FIM 2010 R2 Reporting here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj133853(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,

Antho.

Monday, October 20, 2014 11:43 AM
  •    That's only reporting part of FIM. Thanks anyway.

just found that you can deploy whole FIM on the portal role of Service Manager 2012. (FIM sync service, FIM Portal, SSPR). it will also use the same SharePoint foundation 2010 which you deployed for SCSM portal. (Need FIM 2010 R2 sp1 for support of SharePoint 2010 Foundation though).

Then you then install both the FIM service as well as FIM Reporting as well on that portal role, by installing additional SQL instance on that same service.

However though it is supported scenario, but it would be not for production level loads, but it would be single box all of it, without disturbing your SCSM servers. However SCSM DW schema would be extended anyhow.

Shahid Roofi

• Proposed as answer by Maurador1 Monday, January 19, 2015 9:40 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 11:53 AM
  • Yes, for me you can deploy on the same server FIMSync, FIMService, FIMPortal, SSPR, and SCSM.

A second server is necessary for DWH.

About SQL server, you can have 3 SQL instances (one FIMSync/FIMService, one for SCSM and one for DWH). The last one (DWH instance) needs SSRS for FIM Reporting. All instances could be on the same SQL Server, and also on the same server than FIM (or second server for DWH).

I think with 2 servers you can install all components, but only for lab environment :)

Monday, October 20, 2014 12:10 PM
  •   No. it is not possible to install on 2 servers even for lab. restriction comes from SCSM installer which requires 3 servers only for itself (lab or not).

But I am happy about FIM that you can install everything on SCSM portal machine and nothing on SCSM servers.

However in that case SCSM DW schema would be extended to accommodate FIM reporting and would be connected to portal role as well as data source and to get updated data for FIM reports.

Good part is, I am bringing very little change to my existing SCSM setup in that case

Shahid Roofi

• Edited by Shahid Roofi Monday, October 20, 2014 12:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Maurador1 Monday, January 19, 2015 9:39 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 12:19 PM
  • oh yes for SCSM Portal, but it's not mandatory for FIM. Service Manager Console could do the job.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 12:29 PM
  •    Yes we can separate FIM altogether on a single box as well with 2 SQL instances to accommodate all FIM roles.

And scsm console would be required, to install FIM reporting role.

Thanks Antho09 for all the time and posts. At least our conclusions would be of help to others.

Shahid Roofi

• Proposed as answer by Maurador1 Monday, January 19, 2015 9:39 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 12:44 PM