none
Migrate Hyper-V cluster to 2016 with same ISCSI shared cluster storage

Question

• Currently we're running a Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster with a ISCSI connected shared cluster storage. I installed a fresh Hyper-V 2016 cluster and want to reuse the same ISCSI cluster (due to lack of extra storage). I want to know if this is possible without corrupting the data on de storage.

Possible scenario:

Shutdown all VM's on 2012 R2 cluster. Shutdown all 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts. Connect disks to new 2016 Hyper-V hosts en bring the disks online. Add them to a cluster shared storage. Import VM's from CSV to new 2016 Hyper-V hosts.

Am I missing something crucial here?

• Edited by NJtol Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:31 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:31 AM

Answers

• Then you can use Copy Cluster Roles Wizard. 

Check this blog post for necessary steps (same steps still apply to Windows Server 2016)

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/copy-cluster-roles/

Keep in mind that there will be some downtime, because you need to shutdown the VM's on primary cluster and start them on the new one.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by NJtol Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:03 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade option. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade

Basically what you need to do is add your 2016 hosts to your 2012 R2 cluster, remove 2012 r2 hosts and upgrade cluster functional level. 

Hope this helps. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Thank you for your input.

I already looked into this, but our network design on the new hosts differs (using SET and other brand switches).

Thursday, October 11, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Then you can use Copy Cluster Roles Wizard. 

Check this blog post for necessary steps (same steps still apply to Windows Server 2016)

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/copy-cluster-roles/

Keep in mind that there will be some downtime, because you need to shutdown the VM's on primary cluster and start them on the new one.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by NJtol Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:03 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:23 AM