Cant boot with 2gig of RAM RRS feed

• Question

• Ok i have had 2 different motherboards an asus m2n-e sli and an asus m2n sli deluxe also bought 2gig of corsair pc6400 800mhz ( 2x 1gig matched) and 2gig OCZ pc6400 800mhz (2x 1gig match), was origionally running xp pro sp2 32bit and now running vista ultimate  because i heard that  the 32bit version of xp didnt support 2gig of RAM (any excuse 2 upgrade tbh) any way xp wouldnt boot with 2gig and vista wont either after tryn 2 clean installs of vista and xp on both motherboards and using both sets of RAM thinking that the RAM may of been faulty but still BSOD on windows screen wont boot in safe mode either, i am using an AMD dual core 6000 am2 socket and an nvidia 8800gts, my brain is finally had enough after tryn all sorts i figured it must be windows as bios is allowing me access and recognising the 2gig i hav in at the time i have tried all combinations of the RAM into my motherboards and just dont no what else to try PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

by the way it will boot fine with 1 gig!

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!

If u need any more info about my pc or componants please ask!

Luckygit (or not so in this case)
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:43 PM

Answers

• HI,

I’d like to suggest you perform a repair of Widows Vista, the following are the detail steps:

1.    In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

2.    As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load

3.    Configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly. When done, press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows Vista setup screen where you would normally install Vista on to a computer.

4.    As we want to repair the computer, you should click on the Repair your computer option. This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box

5.    Select the Vista installation you would like to repair and if there are drivers you need to load in order for Vista to access any of your drives or other components , then you should click on the Load Drivers button to load them. When ready, press the Next button to continue. The automatic recovery will search and fix the problem.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please plug the memory into the other 2 slots? (the same colour)

Also, did you over clock the memory speed? if you did, please set it to default value.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:05 AM
  • no merory is not overclocked, i have tried memory sticks in the 2 yellow slots and the 2 black slots and 1 in each, still no joy!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:29 PM
  •  luckygit wrote:
    because i heard that  the 32bit version of xp didnt support 2gig of RAM (any excuse 2 upgrade tbh)

WinXP Pro (32bit) support up to 4GB of RAM. If it doesn't shows 4GB of RAM, it is a limitation with the motherboard.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:56 PM
  • the motherboard will support upto 8 gig of RAM i have Vista Ultimate 32bit edition and that will support upto 4gig i am only trying to use 2gig so shouldnt be an issue either way!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:20 PM
  • HI,

I’d like to suggest you perform a repair of Widows Vista, the following are the detail steps:

1.    In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

2.    As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load

3.    Configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly. When done, press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows Vista setup screen where you would normally install Vista on to a computer.

4.    As we want to repair the computer, you should click on the Repair your computer option. This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box

5.    Select the Vista installation you would like to repair and if there are drivers you need to load in order for Vista to access any of your drives or other components , then you should click on the Load Drivers button to load them. When ready, press the Next button to continue. The automatic recovery will search and fix the problem.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:43 AM

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:49 AM
  • You likely need to update the BIOS.  Pull out one gig and update your BIOS, then it will see both. 

ASUS wasn't very smart when it came to prepping for Vista.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 8:13 PM