Disable music on hold in response group RRS feed

• Question

• Dear community,

i want to call group of traditional sip phones and lync response group at same time.

from my sip gateway, I can configure a group call. But soon after it rings to lync response group, lync response group pick up the phone and play music, so for initial group call it means answered and other sip phones not ring anymore.

Is there any way to make kync response group not answer and play the music, only answer after some lync user realy answered the call?

MCITP: EA, EMA, VA; MCSA
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:27 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately this is not the way a response group works.  The response group is essentially a forwarding agent and with the SIP call flow for a response group, the call must be answered, the queue must be queried for members and then a call is sent to the queue members. When the call comes into a response group the call is answered and put on hold while the response group queue is alerted. The first agent to pick up the call gets the call forwarded to them. So think of the interaction as a blind transfer rather than a group ring scenario.
    Richard McGiboney, Support Escalation Engineer, Microsoft
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Monday, May 2, 2011 9:07 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:12 PM

All replies

• I am afraid this is not possible. RGS uses the conferencing MCU to answer the call and hold it while “hunting” for available agents.

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Monday, April 11, 2011 12:19 PM
  • That obscure workaround appears to work ok on OCS 2007 r2
    Create middle-men user and log him to OC on sacrified workstation (maybe you'd be able to save HW and use Terminal Server)
    Configure timeout and contact values for Send unaswered calls to the following: your RGS contact

Send group call from your sip gateway to group of sip phones and this user, rather than RGS.

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Or I suppose you could upload a custom music on hold file that plays the sound of a phone ringing, or dead air?
    MCM: Exchange 2007+2010; MCSE:M 2003; MCITP: 2008
    Monday, April 11, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Thanks, folks, but it's very sad.

Erik, even if we replace music with "music of rings", for SIP it means "call answered".

This thread was my another attempt to make group of Lync and SIP phones.

I can't add SIP Phone (even as Lync AnalogDevice, see my topic Analog Phone as a member of Response Group) to Lync Response Group, I can't add Lync Response group to SIP Call Group because it answers befere agent really answer.

MCITP: EA, EMA, VA; MCSA
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Dear Drago, i'm asking you as UC expert, can you please visit my topic

Route from one gateway to another (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/74c3a988-e512-48ad-9578-d29807cf9de2) and read my last question?

MCITP: EA, EMA, LSA, VA; MCSA
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:20 AM
  • When thinking of a Response Group, think of it as a SIP endpoint that forwards the call based on rules set up in the Response Group workflow.  To be able to forward the call to the Agents it has to be able to pick up the call first. So it will pick up the call, place it on hold and then attempt to find an Agent that is available to forward the call to (or multiple agents). Once an Agent picks up the call, the call is taken off hold and forwarded to the SIP endpoint of the Agent that is receiving the call. Then if no one answers it will follow the defined workflow for a No Answer. To work around this would defeat the purpose of a Response Group as it is a queuing service for Lync.  If the call is not answered it will be put into a queue until such time as an Agent is available or default back to the No Answer rules.

Maybe if you elaborated on why you do not want the call actually answered I may be able give you a better answer.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Thank you, Richard!

I think it's not rocket science if Response Group will start calling it's agents on "Incoming_Call_To_Response_Group", instead of "Response_Group_Answered".

Why do I need this? I wrote above. I want Lync Response group to be "Extension" in other SIP Ring Group.

MCITP: EA, EMA, LSA, VA; MCSA
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Unfortunately this is not the way a response group works.  The response group is essentially a forwarding agent and with the SIP call flow for a response group, the call must be answered, the queue must be queried for members and then a call is sent to the queue members. When the call comes into a response group the call is answered and put on hold while the response group queue is alerted. The first agent to pick up the call gets the call forwarded to them. So think of the interaction as a blind transfer rather than a group ring scenario.
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Monday, May 2, 2011 9:07 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:12 PM