none
Restore Deleted Project Schedule and WSS Site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

One of the users in MSP 2007 wants to restore a schedule and a workspace that I deleted for him the other day. I asked our dba's to restore the last backup of the ProjectServer_Published db so I can at least recover the scheudule. They did that and I'm able to see the schedule via an ODBC link I created. I go to Project File Open then click ODBC. If i try to open it though I get a message saying that The document table could not be opened". I'm sure this can be done but not sure how. please help

thanks, Hadi

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hadi,

it is never a good idea to restore only one of the four databases - it will cause you data inconsistency between your databases. I have never done that and I think no-one else has ever done so. With your current situation (published restored) you can try the following (no idea if it will work, and will not create your situation on my system, sorry ;-)):

• Start project professional
    • Open ...
    • Retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server
    • Change "Store" from Working to Published
    • If your project is listed there, open it and save locally
    • close Project and reopen mpp, save it on Project Server

Perhaps it will help? I have no idea how to get your WSS Site can be restored anyway, since this is not part of the four project server DBs and saved in content DB.

To avoid that in future I strongly recomend to activate "Schedule Backup" for projects in "Server Settings".

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

You should be able to restore your deleted workspace using stsadm and restoring the site collection to a different url. Once completed, you should be able to export your workspace from the restored site collection and then import it back into the original workspace site collection. 

You can get more info on stsadm import and export at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262465(office.12).aspx and export at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262087(office.12).aspx

Hope this is of use,

Alex.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Barbara, I don't have an issue with restoring all four db's if that helps. Keep in mind that the Restored Published db is a seperate one from the main ProjectServer_Published. I guess all am looking for are clear directions on how to retrieve that schedule from a previous db backup. please help
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Hi Hadie,

I misunderstood your "restore". I thought you restored a backup to your productive published DB. With a new DB, it will not work in the way I described. Sorry!

But if you have no issue to restore all 4 DBs, you could do that and create a new (temporary) PWA instance, linking it to these 4 DBs?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Thanks Barbara. I was hoping to restore the schedule via creating an ODBC link to the Restored db. I tried to follow the steps posted by Project Experts (http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/RestoreProject.aspx) without having to re-create a new instance of PWA. I am not sure what the error message is telling me (The document table could not be opened). any other thoughts?

Hadi

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi Hadie,

I am afraid you missed the category to this FAQ: "Applies To: Server 2003". There was a major technology change from 2003 -> 2007. 2003 used ODBC, 2007 is not.

Perhaps an MSProjectExpert has an additional comment on this?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:52 PM