Windows stuck in always on top mode RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure why but many of my windows like to stay always on top. It gets frustrating when I have something running full screen, and I cant get to the other window or application because the full screen application wont let anything come on top. This also happens with my chrome windows. This is where I first noticed this issue. I tend to keep dozens of tabs open and keep them organised in specific windows. But when I try to drag one to another monitor overtop another chrome window, or bring it to the front it stays behind the other window. It seems to be somewhat random as well as some windows will allow others to come to the front, but generally they will not. I don't know if there is a shortcut or something that I maybe hit to change this setting or what. Any suggestions.
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"But when I try to drag one to another monitor overtop another chrome window, or bring it to the front it stays behind the other window. "

Are you using dual (or multiple) monitors? Are you able to show other windows by click the follow options (right click the taskbar):

Pleaes also note that some third party programs can make certain windows stays on top, please check if this is the cause.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by HomeTechDude Friday, February 13, 2015 3:18 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"But when I try to drag one to another monitor overtop another chrome window, or bring it to the front it stays behind the other window. "

Are you using dual (or multiple) monitors? Are you able to show other windows by click the follow options (right click the taskbar):

Pleaes also note that some third party programs can make certain windows stays on top, please check if this is the cause.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by HomeTechDude Friday, February 13, 2015 3:18 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:13 AM
  • I am not sure why but playing around with those highlighted options, my windows are suddenly working properly. Thank you. I have no idea why it was doing that in the first place but I'm glad to have it figured out.

BTW I am using 3 monitors so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:17 AM
  • Hello Yolanda, I've got a similar issue, but don't have any dual monitors.  When I've got any of the "Settings" windows open, they stay at the forefront, even if i click on the window behind it, or start another window like my file manager or any for that matter.  Settings Always remains in the forefront.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. Just tried Alt Tab, and the same.. does not come to the forefront..

• Edited by Slow Joe Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:56 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Settings Always remains in the forefront.

If it is Maximized (apparently).  So just use Restore (Alt-Space R)

Otherwise you could use ProcExp to help control whether a window should be on top or not.

Oh.  Here's a surprise (for me).  I thought it would be SystemSettings.exe but in fact it is

C:\Windows\System32\ApplicationFrameHost.exe

Who knew?  Thanks for making me find that.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Robert, thanks for the reply.  I've been busy, and haven't got a chance to get back.  I can't find what ProcExp is.  I tried the (Alt-Space-R) but didn't do anything..

I don't recall at all, that this was the way it was with build 10122.  I'm sure it wasn't.  Plus now i'm having trouble with "All Settings" from my "Notifications" in the lower right corner.  Not working right at all.  I can go to the "Start Window" icon, and run "All Settings", and works fine.. 

Always something..

Dave

• Edited by Slow Joe Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:05 AM