none
Project Center - Timeline - Append Project Name To Task Name RRS feed

• Question

• My organization started using PWA about a year ago with a lot of success, especially using Project Center as a portal to all project sites and an at-a-glance view of upcoming milestones.  

The question I have is this:  is there a way to append a project's title to a task added to Project Center's timeline?  

Simple example:  I have three individual projects in PWA with tasks named "Launch."  Within the context of each project's site, this task makes sense on the timeline;  however, I'd like to add these tasks to Project Center's timeline for a portfolio-wide view, but having three instances of "Launch" does not make sense.  

Current workaround:  Rename these tasks in the individual projects to read "Project 1 - Launch", "Project 2- Launch", "Project 3 - Launch", but that would break nomenclature overall so I'd rather not use this as a permanent solution.

Is it possible to auto-append project titles to task titles/names for clarity at the portfolio level?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:49 PM

Answers

• I think that your workaround is the best you can do at the moment using source plans only. Perhaps at some point we'll be able to push custom labels by using a custom field instead of the task name.

Another strategy is to create a schedule that is linked to all of the other plans to display the information you want to provide. Your users will need to drill down to the master plan to see the timeline view you're trying to build. 

This adds a layer of work in that you need to open the master plan to refresh the dates at whatever rate you want the dates to be current.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

• Marked as answer by ONOKel Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:50 PM