locked
SCCM 2012 console cannot connect to site server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Just completed the installation of SCCM 2012 and my console cannot connect to the site server.  SCCM and SQL 2008 are installed on the same server.  During installation I encountered one error which was "Setup cannot compile MOF file d:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\smsprov.mof" with a prompt to click "Yes" to continue anyway.  I did and the installation finished without any further errors.  I should probably note that this system was previously running SCCM 2007 for the last year with no issues but because there wasn't anything worth migrating, the 2007 installation was uninstalled along with the older version of SQL so I could do a clean install of the latest and greatest.  The MOF compilation error sounds like some kind of SPN problem but I'm using the local system account to run the SQL services so that didn't seem to apply here.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or tell me what other logs to check.  This is the error that appears in the Windows Application Log when I try to run the cosole:

    Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The SMS Provider reported an error.'\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe SMS Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryResultsObject.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()

       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:

    instance of __ExtendedStatus

    {

    Operation = "ExecQuery";

    ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM SMS_Site WHERE SiteCode = '192'";

    ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

    };

    Error Code:

    InvalidClass

    \r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nInvalid class \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

       at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()

       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryResultsObject.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()\r\nManagementException details:

    instance of __ExtendedStatus

    {

    Operation = "ExecQuery";

    ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM SMS_Site WHERE SiteCode = '192'";

    ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

    };

    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

  • I should probably note that this system was previously running SCCM 2007 for the last year with no issues but because there wasn't anything worth migrating, the 2007 installation was uninstalled along with the older version of SQL so I could do a clean install of the latest and greatest. 


    So you just uninstalled CM07 and SQL? I wouldn't call that a "clean install" then. You could either try to fix this problem (by deleting old CM07 stuff from registry, file system and WMI - which would be next to impossible if you used the same site code) or start from scratch (by reinstalling the OS). I'd go for option 2.

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de


    • Edited by TorstenMMVP Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:21 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:21 PM
  • I did clean all traces of CM07 from the file system and the registry as well as the System Management container in AD.  Didn't think of WMI though.  I was afraid that wipe it and start over was going to be the solution.  Probably just as quick as trying to troubleshoot and comb through all the logs.  Thanks for the info.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I did a clean install of a Win 2008 R2 AD with everything updated to the latest patch in two different lab environments ( both hosted on esxi ). The first one worked straight up, the attempt on the second installation, following the same procedure, however produced the same error mentioned above. SCCM 2007 errors similar to this one point to a missing SPNs for the sql account, however this is not the case here. I've checked, re-checked re-registered and tried using both a system account and a dedicated sql service account for the installation. Reverting to the pre-sccm install snapshots, I've tried wmidiag, rebuilding the WMI repository manually, nothing seems to work. I'm begining to suspect the mof file itself is corrupted. I did burn two different copies of the same SCCM 2012 RTM media.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:34 PM