Reset BIOS system password now my keyboard wont produce characters RRS feed

• Question

•  

I resently went into my BIOS and changed the System and Admin. passwords.  I then restarted the PC.

The problem is that I now get asked to provide the system password but when I type no characters appear on the screen. However , the enter key works!

Can anyone assist me?

Friday, June 6, 2008 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As your issue is related to BIOS, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot it. I suggest contacting your motherboard or computer manufacturer to troubleshoot the issue. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:59 AM

All replies

• If you have a desktop computer, disconnect your power supply cord from the electrical outlet, open the computer case and remove the CMOS battery for about five minutes.  Then replace the battery.  This should reset your motherboard's BIOS settings to their defaults.

However, if you have a notebook computer, you'll need to contact the manufacturer and request a BIOS reset disc.

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  

Thanks very much for your time.   I had already tried this!

I am back into my system now.  It appears that even though the characters were not appearing they were being accepted.

So I typed the password in and pressed enter which took me into BIOS......Doh....Sorry!

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Hi,

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As your issue is related to BIOS, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot it. I suggest contacting your motherboard or computer manufacturer to troubleshoot the issue. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:59 AM