Office 2010 and Word 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been trying to resolve an issue with a sequenced application (Patient Centre) we have in our organisation.  Basically, this application needs to use Word 2003 to export Word documents to.  However, our organisation has deployed Office 2010 via SCCM as a local install on all client PC's.  Patient Centre needs to interact with Word 2003 needs to use this version for support, as the company that provided the (sequenced) applciation does not support issues with Office (Word) 2007 and 2010.

So, I've got Patient Centre sequenced and it works without any issues, and I have Word 2003 sequenced and only presented to the users who have access to the Patient Centre.  These users will then have Word 2010 locally installed on the PC.  But what happens is, when Word 2003 is published to the users, it will be used as the default application for documents.  Now, I have removed all but .doc file associations from the Word 2003 sequenced app, which while not ideal, it means that the end user will now use Word 2010 for the newer files formats (docx, etc).

My question, finally, is; can I force the Patient Centre sequenced application to only use Word 2003 when it needs to export a document and in turn make it that only Patient Cetnre uses Word 2003, with any other operations using Word 2010?

Thanks!

Just to add, I've sequenced Word 2003 seperately and also bundled it in with Patient Centre, so technically there are two versions of the same software.  I've changed the name and version number so there is no conflict in the Management Console and to allow me to add Word 2003 as its own individual sequenced application.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Depending on how the application interact with Word - this may be more or less complicated. 

To avoid the File Assocation problem - you can recreate the package and remove FTAs while sequencing. If its necessary to maintain any FTA - you could at least limit the package to only that one (or two...).

I have no idea how Patient Centre calls word so I can not recommend an approach to sequence Patient Centre together with Word 2003 to ensure that it will only call Word 2003. 

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.  I think it's all down to the way the Patient Centre app is built and how it compiles all the info in the application into a Word document.  From what I understand it looks for the first application that has the ability to open a .doc file format, but that application must be Microsoft Office suite based.  That's not at all confusing and annoying!

I've configured all the FTA's for my Word 2003  sequenced app to only open .doc files.  It's a little frustrating that I can't force .doc files from Patient Centre to only open in Word 2003, but at least it's a workaround!

Cheers!

Friday, March 18, 2011 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Depending on how the application interact with Word - this may be more or less complicated. 

To avoid the File Assocation problem - you can recreate the package and remove FTAs while sequencing. If its necessary to maintain any FTA - you could at least limit the package to only that one (or two...).

I have no idea how Patient Centre calls word so I can not recommend an approach to sequence Patient Centre together with Word 2003 to ensure that it will only call Word 2003. 

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:52 AM
  • It looks like he might need some file type association though it's difficult to tel since I'm not familiar with the application. How does the app know which version to use? Does it just do it based on the FTA? Maybe it would be worth contacting the vendor, sometimes there's a custom registry setting they can tell you to point to the dependency you require.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.  I think it's all down to the way the Patient Centre app is built and how it compiles all the info in the application into a Word document.  From what I understand it looks for the first application that has the ability to open a .doc file format, but that application must be Microsoft Office suite based.  That's not at all confusing and annoying!

I've configured all the FTA's for my Word 2003  sequenced app to only open .doc files.  It's a little frustrating that I can't force .doc files from Patient Centre to only open in Word 2003, but at least it's a workaround!

Cheers!

Friday, March 18, 2011 11:16 AM