USN Journal in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I originally posted the following question in Microsoft Answers, but was referred to TechNet. I was unable to find a forum that was perfectly adequate for the question, so if there is a moderator who can move it, please feel free to.

There is an entire thread in Microsoft Answers, in case anyone wishes to view it. It describes all the steps I have taken so far. I have summarised some of the actions I have attempted to fix this.

Here is the link to the original thread:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaperformance/thread/26c7df69-ee9e-48d0-86ed-a535917ad628/

Original Post:
    How can I completely disable the USN Journal on my Windows drive (Drive C:)? I have used the command FSUTIL USN DELETEJOURNAL /D C: successfully, however this only deletes the current entries and starts the journal from empty, not disabling it fully. I do not have the Windows Messenger journal service running, and cannot find why the USN is in use.
    The same command disabled the USN on Windows XP, so I really can't see why it wouldn't now.

Summary of Actions:
    - Tried logging in as Administrator to perform the same command.
    - I do not have the Messenger service that employs the USN Journal.
    - Tried disabling some services to stop reliance on USN Journal, did not work so re-enabled them.

Suggested Actions Which Do Not Help:
    - Creating a shortcut that runs on start-up. This only deletes the entries on start-up, not permanently.
    - Creating some kind of schedule to run this shortcut. This does not stop the USN Journal being written to during operation.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• Do I assume that people do not know the answer or are unwilling to help?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:21 PM