none
Block external email for set of users - they are not all members of a distribution group

Question

• Hello

I would like to setup a transport rule to block external email for a set of users. i.e. those users cannot send email externally.

I do not want those users to have to be a member of a distribution group (BlockExternalEmail for example)

What methods can i achieve an ad scoped membership for this transport rule without a distribution group.

Both mail-enabled security groups and distribution groups create a ... distribution list.

Thanks

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:57 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply

The reason I want to try to avoid a group is that it seems odd for such a group to be able to be emailed as a distribution list when they have nothing in common other than that external email is blocked.

I would prefer a group based method that doesnt force that group to be "emailable"

in that case , hide it from the Address Book and set delivery restrictions on it. No one wil know its there. then you can use a group to your liking. Its really the easiest way to manage this.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, September 21, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, use a distribution group is the easiest method to achieve your goal.

Or you have to set a transport rule for every user.

Please refer to the below picture:

Regards,

David

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hello

I would like to setup a transport rule to block external email for a set of users. i.e. those users cannot send email externally.

I do not want those users to have to be a member of a distribution group (BlockExternalEmail for example)

What methods can i achieve an ad scoped membership for this transport rule without a distribution group.

Both mail-enabled security groups and distribution groups create a ... distribution list.

Thanks

You could use an attribute on their account or just add each user individually to the rule.

Why dont you want to use a group?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, September 21, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

Please create a group for the users and add them to the group. Once done, set up the rules as below. In this example, the group is called "205 (12)".

Rule 1:

Rule 2:

Please test and let me know if this stops the users being able to send and receive external email.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks.

Mark Gossa

MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 R2, MCSA 2012 R2, MCTS Exchange 2010

Blog: http://markgossa.blogspot.com

Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

The reason I want to try to avoid a group is that it seems odd for such a group to be able to be emailed as a distribution list when they have nothing in common other than that external email is blocked.

I would prefer a group based method that doesnt force that group to be "emailable"

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:28 PM
  • Yes that should work thanks

I asked the question because I wanted a method that didnt force the group to be "emailable" as it seems odd and something i would rather not have to force.

Monday, September 21, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

in that case , hide it from the Address Book and set delivery restrictions on it. No one wil know its there. then you can use a group to your liking. Its really the easiest way to manage this.

Monday, September 21, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, use a distribution group is the easiest method to achieve your goal.

Or you have to set a transport rule for every user.

Please refer to the below picture:

Regards,

David

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:24 AM