Changing Word STARTUP Folder via GPO RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, so I'm trying to change the STARTUP folder path to my own custom path via GPO.
    And I set the setting in
    Microsoft Office Word 2010/Word Options/Advanced/File locations/Startup
    Microsoft Office Word 2007/Word Options/Advanced/File locations/Startup
    But it doesn't seem to work. I can't even see the setting anywhere in the registry either. What could be wrong here?
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:20 PM Question about group policies (From:Word for Developers)
    • Changed type Max Meng Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:39 AM problem solved
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:20 AM

All replies

• The (2007) GPO should set registry key HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options -- value STARTUP-PATH. If this isn't being set, the problem is either in what you have done, or in the Admin Template you are using; if it is being set the problem is with Word: which is it?

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Yeah, it's not there in the registry at all. Actually, the folder "Options" is not there either. But what's strange is that the other settings set in the very same GPO is there. So I tried to manually delete every entry in the registry under "Office\12" and ran "gpupdate /force". Then I checked the registry again and the other settings are there, but not the STARTUP-PATH.

Edit: I do not have any other GPOs that may interfere either. There's just one GPO which does anything to the Office settings.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Kenny, the best place to ask about group policies is the TechNet forum, so I'm going to move your question there.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Well, all I can say is that it works for me! The policy editor is not especially clever - it just translates what you tell it into registry entries as defined in the admin template - if it doesn't do what you tell it, the most likely cause is something in the Admin Template. You could check what's defined there (which one are you using?) and/or download a new one in case there's a problem.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Aaarrrggghh! Someone has moved the thread!

If there is a single thing that spoils these forums it is the gay abandon with which threads are moved around by moderators and/or admins. I do understand - though I don't necessarily agree with - the rationale (although this particular thread would be more appropriate in a deployment foum than a Word specific one if it has to be moved) but from a usability perspective it has, shall we say, some limitations.

I may never see all of this so my apologies in advance if I don't reply to anything.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi Tony

Well, if you click on the thread header in the email you'll get to the new location. And you'll still get alerts. But it's here now:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/word/thread/c682416b-a785-4ebc-a5e9-10414701d35a/

The "rationale" is that the OP is in a place where there are plenty of people with the skill set to provide an answer. Group Policies are handled as part of IT, not deployment, as I understand it. A developer deploying templates should not blithely go around changing file locations for an Office app...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

It was you, was it? I could have checked if I had gone to the web (I believe it marks it somewhere), but I use the Bridge. I can't work effectively using the web interface (it is hugely improved over the web interface that there used to be to the NNTP newsgroups, but still enormously time consuming to use) and I don't get alerts. I tried to use the web when I was away at Easter and I didn't have all 'my' forums set up on my laptop (actually I didn't have a newsreader as Windows 7 comes without one) and I couldn't come up with any effective way of following what I wanted to.

As I understand it (which could easily be wrong!) forum messages have IDs that allow for posts and replies to be matched up in my newsreader, but that these don't match up properly when threads get moved. Issues of timing affect what I see where, and when - and also, sometimes, what I see at all. If a thread is moved to a forum I don't subscribe to I just never see the thing again, although the chances of that are small as I subscribe to most that are likely to be relevant.

As I said I do understand the rationale, I just don't agree with it. They're not my forums so I have to go along with what the owner wants; I just try to help and get frustrated when I'm stymied.

I completely agree that a developer developing templates should not be changing Group Policies - and I wouldn't even expect them to have the authority to do it, but the question was about policies and, as such, I assumed it was a deployment issue - it certainly wasn't a question about Word. I would be surprised if Policies in an AD environment fell under IT, where IT is something that doesn't include deployment, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding what's meant by 'IT', and not seeing the distinction you make.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:06 PM
  • A lot of replies here! :) I'm an Office developer as well as one of two people who run the IT department. So yes, I do maintain the GPOs as well as everything else in the IT department. I just happen to be a designer and small time programmer as well, so I took on the role as the template developer.

But, what I did notice now after getting to work is that the registry settings are now somehow there! I'm not sure how that happened, I didn't even run gpupdate /force since yesterday and I did check the registry right after I ran gpupdate. But, I reckon this works now as intended! :)

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi Kenny

Glad everything has worked out for you :-)

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:08 PM