none
Problem with Multiple Tenants RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem that has persisted after trying different phones and factory-resetting several devices like a Google Pixel 3 and the support team now believes the Authenticator app is the problem and they told me to post here. 

I have 5 separate Office 365 accounts, all are E3 level Office 365 subscriber tenants, all from totally separate domains/companies entire.  I am the Office 365 administrator for 4 out of the 5 accounts.

All 5 accounts are setup on my phone in the Outlook app, and they show up inside the Authenticator app, but I don't use 2-factor authentication with any of them.

The problem I am having is this: If I open the Outlook app and only use it, it works fine. If I open another app like MS Teams (which is only used by one of the 5 domains), it will initially show everyone offline and then (by itself) it will open the Authenticator app for several seconds (10 seconds or so) and log itself into that account, then it'll show everyone's real status (online/available/etc.)

But allowing Teams to "fix itself", causes Outlook to lose it's authorization (session?) and it starts complaining about needing me to sign-in again.  If I do that, it signs in fine without ever making me provide/type a password. It just needs to "go through the steps" and takes 30 seconds to do that.

If I never opened Teams, Outlook would have been happy the whole time and never would have asked me to authenticate again.

It seems like only one app at a time can be authenticated to the Office 365 service. Or maybe it's my multiple domains/tenants that's causing the issue?

Please let me know if you would like a video demo of this issue.

Shawn Keene

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• Can you remove the accounts that doesn't require the authenticator app from it ? 

S_K_P

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:40 PM
  • I could remove them from Authenticator, but then the Outlook app stops syncing email (removing them from authenticator removes the account from the entire device, not just from the app).  I don't use 2-step auth for those accounts, but I do need to read/send email in those inboxes.

Shawn Keene

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:44 PM
  • I just installed authenticator app in my phone, it didn't actually pick up any of the account configured in my phone.

I added a few more accounts to my outlook , none of them showed up in the authenticator.

Also for my live mailbox, while creating the profile in outlook it showed use authenticator app instead while entering password.

When happens when you  add the email account again to outlook, are you able to enter password or authentication goes to authenticator app ? 

S_K_P

• Edited by S_K_P Friday, August 23, 2019 9:42 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 9:41 PM
  • I went through the Authenticator app and removed all the Office 365 accounts, but that caused the Outlook app to stop syncing and as soon as I entered my password into Outlook again, they showed back up inside Authenticator.

Microsoft's VP over identity management platform mentioned this was a known issue and has been tweeting me (and others) about it periodically. The latest I heard was that they are slowly releasing the update that will fix this bug, but so far it's still impacting me.

Shawn Keene

Monday, August 26, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for the Update.

S_K_P

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 8:23 PM
  • The issue that you're describing appears to be fixed in the Authenticator 6.6.1 beta available through the Play Store
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:32 PM