Can't upgrade from PowerShell v2 on Win 7 Pro SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC running Win 7 Pro SP1, x64. All .Net versions install just fine, but no version of WMF will install. I've tried literally every installer. All of them say that the update is unavailable for this PC. There are no error logs generated or anything else.

I've been working on it for weeks with no success. I've scoured through every forum and even tried actual Microsoft Tech Support. No dice. I'm hoping one of you closet geniuses has the fix I'm looking for.

Please let me know what further info you need in order to diagnose this issue.

• Edited by Brutuss13 Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• 32 or 64 bit architecture?

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:36 PM
  • That's actually not a scripting issue.  ;-)

Here you can find some possible helpful information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/5.1/install-configure

When you try to install the *.msu file you should use the command line and activate the logging with the parameter /log. This way you might collect information about what's wrong.

Best regards,

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:55 PM
  • x64, sorry.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:00 PM
  • That's actually not a scripting issue.  ;-)

Here you can find some possible helpful information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/5.1/install-configure

When you try to install the *.msu file you should use the command line and activate the logging with the parameter /log. This way you might collect information about what's wrong.

Best regards,

(79,108,97,102|%{[char]$_})-join''

Thanks for the link, I've already done all of that, except for the log switch. I'll retry report back with log results.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:05 PM
  • x64, sorry.

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54616

And select this version:

Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3191566-x64.zip

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Exit with error code 0X80240017 

That's the exit code in the event log it generated. 

The error entry text is "Windows update  could not be installed because of error 2149842967". 

I get that when I attempt to use chocolatey. I've researched that error, and none of the fixes help. 

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:28 PM
  • You fail to say how you caused that error.  What does Chocolatey have to do with installing WMF 5.1?

Note that this is not a help or system support forum.  You may need to open a support call with MS Support.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:37 PM
  • I attempted to install/upgrade PS with chocolatey. Which usually works. And has better logging. That error is generated when I run the installer and get the same message as I've stated before: "The update is unavailable for your computer". 

And jrv, if you would read my OP in full, you would know that I already have contacted MS. Which is why I'm here, as they obviously couldn't help. 

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:47 PM
  • I posted a link to the correct installer.  You need to try it although the system may be too badly damaged by now.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:53 PM
  • And jrv, if you would read my OP in full, you would know that I already have contacted MS. Which is why I'm here, as they obviously couldn't help. 

What is you incident number and what did they advise you to do?

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:54 PM
  • I did retry the installation with the installer you gave me the link to. Same exact error. Every single version of WMF gives me the same exact error. 

MS basically told me the same stuff that you are. And at the end recommended I re-install Windows. Which isn't an option, because it's on the opposite side of the planet, and there's no recovery on it.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Sorry but we cannot fix you system for you.  This is not a desktop support forum.

I and all of us will recommend that you repair Windows and try again.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by BOfH-666 Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Brutuss13 Monday, January 8, 2018 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:36 AM