none
Whats the latest with Edge and Corporations?

Question

• Seen a good 2 years of reading on this and a lot of back and forths

so I ask you, whats the latest best trend for Edge and corporations?

I'd rather just disable edge and have users use IE11 - edge doesn't work with our SSO and many of our other websites (trusted sites, restricted sites, etc) BUT disabling and removing is not possible

Seen a lot of people clearing task bar, to remove edge icon - and forcing ie11 for defaults - best work around I've seen thus far

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 3:18 PM

Answers

• So the only edition of Windows 10 that does not include Edge is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. But you wouldn't deploy LTSB to standard user computer. LTSB is designed for kiosk, equipment controller, ATM type automated machines that don't require a lot of user interaction or maintenance.

Microsoft's goal is that you will use Edge for a fast web browsing experience, and utilize Enterprise Mode for IE11 configured via GPO for legacy or corporate, web applications. When Enterprise Mode for IE11 is configured, the chosen URL that is browsed to within Edge will automatically open IE11 with the compatibility mode settings configured.

You can choose amongst various compatibility mode options for Enterprise Mode for your list of URLs that can be created with the Enterprise Mode Site Manager, and then exported to an XML file.  You then configure the GPO for Enterprise Mode to point to a web url or file share that contains this XML file.

Me personally, I wouldn't want to deny anyone using Edge, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience my user base to be confused by opening up two browsers for different purposes on demand.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/microsoft-edge/emie-to-improve-compatibility?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Daniel Scoland MCP 70-698 CompTIA Security+, Network+, A+ IT Professional

• Edited by dscoland Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:45 AM Edited web address link.
    • Marked as answer by Rderenzy Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:00 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:36 AM
  • I think we will just gut through this and use edge

yes any issues perhaps I can force use intranet in IE11

I guess I could even send out a welcome packet and show users how to set their default webbrowser to chrome/IE11 - (hate to have users do that manually)

now with enterprise mode - websites I found, I can just enter that website and enter IE11, which will route those to IE11?, sounds pretty easy and almost easier than working with site zone assignments

We've done a lot of work on our enterprisemode (EMIE) file (we host it on a central webserver, and use GPO to enforce the use of it), on our Win7/IE11 fleet of around 60,000 PC's.

We intend to use the same approach and the same file, for managing Edge vs IE on Win10.
    My plan, is to edit all the current EMIE directives which force an older DocMode/BrowserMode to also force into IE11 - everything else by default will use edgemode. Users will use Edge as default, and can avoid IE entirely if they can/wish to work that way.

So if the user launches Edge, unless they hit a URL/page/app which is defined in the EMIE file they will stay in Edge. If they hit a known-old URL/page/app defined in the EMIE file they will transition from Edge to IE and IE11 will apply the relevant down-level DocMode/BrowserMode so that nasty old web app works correctly.

For those who then re-use the IE11 windows/tabs to navigate to some other modern site/app, they will stay in IE11 (there's no way I know of to transition back from IE11 to Edge browser)

For Win7 we did consider Browsium products as one way to control which browser for which web sites/apps (theoretically could switch between multiple browsers automatically based on the URL/pattern) but we really wanted to avoid doing multiple browsers at all.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Rderenzy Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:55 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:49 PM

All replies

• Considering Microsoft can't even get Edge to work with their own products (SCCM App Catalog just to name the big one), I wouldn't hold out hope for them to start supporting other companies any time soon.  If you can figure out a way to actually disable it and actually force IE11 as the default with the CB of Windows 10, feel free to let the rest of us know. 
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:09 PM
  • lol sure - but that's why I cam here

a good article here, to make defaults, but I worry those defaults might not be able to be changed?

https://4sysops.com/archives/set-internet-explorer-as-the-default-browser-in-windows-10-with-group-policy/

but then the dam task bar icon - gpo to remove it locks menu for all users, which is so dumb

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Yeah, that Default App Association XML thing apparently stopped working with 1511. Once you upgrade to current branch Windows 10, that just doesn't work any more.  As of now, I haven't seen anyone with a solution set IE11 as the default browser in Current Branch aside from manually going through every user and having them click on the Default Programs menu. 
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:15 PM
  • whaaaa no way

there has to be some sort of solution - we cannot get 1,000 calls to the help desk that edge doesn't work or not the default atleast

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:23 PM
  • yep your right -

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eea6a33e-b7bb-4c0d-9ddf-300b46df4e60/windows-10-1607-file-associations?forum=win10itprosetup

what in the heck.

most of our websites do not work with edge, and users cannot be using 2 browsers

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, your discovery is valuable, we appreciate your study and feedback. I have seen some users meet with the same situation, for current situation, your workaround is really effective. I will submit this problem to system product team via our internal feedback tool, please wait patiently. You could also use the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side. 

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, your discovery is valuable, we appreciate your study and feedback. I have seen some users meet with the same situation, for current situation, your workaround is really effective. I will submit this problem to system product team via our internal feedback tool, please wait patiently. You could also use the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side. 

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wait, what was our workaround? 
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:49 PM
  • So the only edition of Windows 10 that does not include Edge is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. But you wouldn't deploy LTSB to standard user computer. LTSB is designed for kiosk, equipment controller, ATM type automated machines that don't require a lot of user interaction or maintenance.

Microsoft's goal is that you will use Edge for a fast web browsing experience, and utilize Enterprise Mode for IE11 configured via GPO for legacy or corporate, web applications. When Enterprise Mode for IE11 is configured, the chosen URL that is browsed to within Edge will automatically open IE11 with the compatibility mode settings configured.

You can choose amongst various compatibility mode options for Enterprise Mode for your list of URLs that can be created with the Enterprise Mode Site Manager, and then exported to an XML file.  You then configure the GPO for Enterprise Mode to point to a web url or file share that contains this XML file.

Me personally, I wouldn't want to deny anyone using Edge, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience my user base to be confused by opening up two browsers for different purposes on demand.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/microsoft-edge/emie-to-improve-compatibility?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Daniel Scoland MCP 70-698 CompTIA Security+, Network+, A+ IT Professional

• Edited by dscoland Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:45 AM Edited web address link.
    • Marked as answer by Rderenzy Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:00 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:36 AM

I guess I could even send out a welcome packet and show users how to set their default webbrowser to chrome/IE11 - (hate to have users do that manually)

now with enterprise mode - websites I found, I can just enter that website and enter IE11, which will route those to IE11?, sounds pretty easy and almost easier than working with site zone assignments

Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:00 PM

We've done a lot of work on our enterprisemode (EMIE) file (we host it on a central webserver, and use GPO to enforce the use of it), on our Win7/IE11 fleet of around 60,000 PC's.

We intend to use the same approach and the same file, for managing Edge vs IE on Win10.
    My plan, is to edit all the current EMIE directives which force an older DocMode/BrowserMode to also force into IE11 - everything else by default will use edgemode. Users will use Edge as default, and can avoid IE entirely if they can/wish to work that way.

So if the user launches Edge, unless they hit a URL/page/app which is defined in the EMIE file they will stay in Edge. If they hit a known-old URL/page/app defined in the EMIE file they will transition from Edge to IE and IE11 will apply the relevant down-level DocMode/BrowserMode so that nasty old web app works correctly.

For those who then re-use the IE11 windows/tabs to navigate to some other modern site/app, they will stay in IE11 (there's no way I know of to transition back from IE11 to Edge browser)

For Win7 we did consider Browsium products as one way to control which browser for which web sites/apps (theoretically could switch between multiple browsers automatically based on the URL/pattern) but we really wanted to avoid doing multiple browsers at all.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Rderenzy Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:55 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:49 PM
  • yep that sounds like the ideal solution -
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:55 PM