locked
Unable to Save site as a template due to invalid GUID format RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

      On SharePoint foundation 2010, I am able to save other sites as templates. There is one site with a custom solution which generates the following error when I try to save it as a template:

    SPSolutionExporter: System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error generating the XML document. ---> System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).     at System.Guid..ctor(String g)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.get_ItemContext()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListFormWebPart.get_ShowToolbarWithRibbon()     at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterListFormWebPart.Write15_ListFormWebPart(String n, String ns, ListFormWebPart o, Boolean isNullable, Boolean needType)     at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationWriterListFormWebPart.Write16_WebPart(Object o) 

    I figured it may be a web part, so I inspected the web parts for all the pages. They all look to be ok. I decided to remove all the pages with custom views to try to identify where the problem is, but after removing all the pages, I am still unable to save the site.

    Is there a way to pinpoint/debug what generates this error? Any feedback is appreciated.

    thanks


    0g

    • Edited by ozkaryMVP Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:42 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:41 PM

All replies

  • HI,

    What exactly are you deploying with your custom solution? If a webpart then remove it from all pages and also from webpart gallery. Then try again


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu

    Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:38 AM
  • hi Rashu,

      The custom solution is basically a sub-site with lists and views. There are no custom webparts. I tried taking out all the list views from the views, but there is still a problem.

     We resolved this problem by recreating the sub-site, lists and views, but this problem appears to be a metadata issue with SharePoint.

     My question really is how can we go about to identify which object or webpart creates this problem. The logs only shows the code that generates the error. 

    thanks.


    0g


    • Edited by ozkaryMVP Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:23 PM