Grammar Errors not flagged with squiggly green lines in Document RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2010 and earlier, I could type in a sentence such as:

"This don't make no sense."

Green squiggly lines would appear under "don't" and "No". I could then right-click and choose "doesn't" and "any" respectively to fix the grammar.

In Word 2013 and newer, grammar errors are not identified. I have gone into Word Options and verified that "check spelling as you type" is turned on.  I searched several forums and could not find any answers. When I manually click the Review tab and choose Spelling and Grammar", Word says that no errors are found! This  happens on every computer I have tried, going on over 10 computers with Word 2013 to Word 2016.

What happened to this valuable feature? Can it be turned on?  Thanks!

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Scotty,

In previous versions of Word, it's true that grammar errors were marked with a green line, while contextual spelling errors were marked with a blue line. In later versions of Word, The blue line indicates a grammatical error, including misused words.

I can reproduce what you are encountering. Based on my research, Word uses different Grammar Settings since Word 2013.

The spelling and grammar check is not always correct. Particularly with grammar, there are many errors Word will not notice. If you find that spelling or grammar checking isn't working as you'd expect see The spelling and grammar checker isn't working as expected.

For more information, read Check spelling and grammar in OfficeSpelling and grammar in WordSelect grammar and writing style options and Select grammar and writing style options in Office 2013 and earlier.

If you have any comments on Grammar Checker in Word, you can send your feedback in Word UserVoice forum.

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:15 AM
  • I can confirm that this is not adequately picked up in either Word 2013 or Word 2019. The problems are picked up in Word 2010 (and Word 2003).

I can recommend Grammarly, but it is intrusive, not to mention not free. No computer proofreading is a substitute for personal proofreading (preferably by a second party).

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, February 28, 2020 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Monday, March 9, 2020 1:53 AM