none
Desktop Window Manager / dwm.exe gets very sluggish after I use Remote Desktop client RRS feed

• Question

• I recently setup a new Windows 7 machine (brand new Skylake build) and swapped the displays from my old machine to the new machine, and started working on the old machine via RDP as I migrate things slowly.

What I found by trial and error is that usually within 20 minutes of using Remote Desktop from the new machine, I would get the Aero Performance warning. I see dwm.exe consuming 100% CPU of a single core. This boggled me because I have a fast machine, with an ASUS GTX 580 Matrix GPU (nVidia) that performs very well. I am using the latest Geforce drivers.

Once it happens, dragging Windows is a very hitchy experience. Nothing works to recover. If I start the Desktop Window Manager service, it'll go immediately to a high CPU state. I have to reboot to clear it up. If I dont use RDP, it never happens, but within minutes of opening the RDP session, there it goes again. I can stop the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service to workaround the problem.

One more symptom. Once, before rebooting, I decided to uninstall the nVidia drivers and try reinstalling them. The installer complained that no compatible display adapter was found. I had to reboot in order to reinstall them.

UPDATE: Thinking maybe I had a bad GPU, I swapped the card with an identical model. The problem remains.

• Edited by gyrasoft Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:15 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi gyrasoft,

Considering this is a brand new machine, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.

"The installer complained that no compatible display adapter was found"
    I noticed you are using the old display. Have you tried to download the driver manually from the display manufacturer website?
    Please try to change the display settings from the remote desktop applications to have a check.

If it is possible, please choose another display to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:53 AM