Default behavior of Copy, Move and other popups need changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone

I should have posted this way back in the 7100 days, but I (mistakenly) thought it would have been noticed and Changed by now. I hope I can explain it well enough but I'm also adding screenshot links for clarity. I'm actually very surprised this has stayed this way throughout 7's development, it's very counter-productive. 
    The problem is, especially for those who use keyboard navigation more than the mouse, is that any folder near the bottom of the popup that you expand into, stays at the Bottom of the window, effectively covering all the content(s) that you expanded the folder to get too anyway. The example shown is when I arrow down to the Widows folder at the bottom and then arrow right to expand it..

As shown, the Windows folder contents are all below the popup bottom and I now have to arrow down a ton to get anywhere in it.
    Why doesn't an expanded folder automatically move to the top of the popup so the folder contents show? If I expanded it, I obviously want something in that folder,
    so it would make sense to move it up top as in this screen.

Anyone else like to see this change? I suppose I should bring up 1 more thing MS should add 
    Something allot uf us have done for some 7 or so years now is to add 2 items to the Context menu, "Copy to Folder" and "Move to Folder". Very useful context menu additions, 
    and since the tools are already in the OS it's simply adding 2 entries into the ContextMenuHandlers in the registry to add the commands into the context menu. 
    They're huge time savers and should be integrated into the OS. For anyone without these (and want to see how much they add), here's the code for you. Simply copy paste 
    this into Notepad and save as a .reg file, then double click it to merge into the registry. 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
    @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
    @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

• Edited by Chappy1 Monday, June 8, 2009 7:06 AM
    • Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, June 8, 2009 6:48 PM Required Registry Warning.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 6:43 AM

Answers

• Hacking the registry in a pre-release version of Windows is never recomended. Make a comment to the developers about your experience, and wait for the final before using a hack. You could not possibly know what impact it would have on the final version. 

The folder lacking 'popup' behavior is by design. If you want the behavior you describe you can simply press the left and right arrows to cause it to 'popup'
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Monday, June 8, 2009 3:58 PM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:46 PM