none
MS Project Server 2010 - Resource Availability and Resource Assignment Views Do Not Match RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010 and set up for single mode entry on the PWA timesheet. Resources enter their actual work per day per task and enter their remaining work and then "Send Status" every week when complete. Each PM goes to the Approval Center and Accepts Updates and republishes the schedule. The PM may also at times need to go into the schedule to make additional updates when they determine through a weekly meeting that a task is actually complete but the resource forgot to enter 0 remaining work. They either mark the task 100% complete or enter 0 hours of remaining work and then republish the schedule. This is where the issue then shows up. If you go to the Resource Center in PWA and pull up the resources (people) that you just adjusted the remaining work to 0 on you get two different answers depending on what view you open. If I open the "Resource Availability" view it still shows that the tasks that I zeroed the remaining work on show that work for the resource. If I go into the Resource Assignments view that chart indicates that the work has been zeroed out as I expected. If I run report on the project that would indicate remaining work it looks right as well. This is happening on multiple projects as well so it doesn't seem to be isolated to one schedule.

Does anyone have any ideas how these two views could show different data? We use the Resource Availability view all the time when we are looking for over allocations on projects and our PMs are not trusting that it is correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jeff

Jeff Miller

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hello Jeff,

What is patch level for project server 2010? Can you check the behavior after SP2 + October 2013 CU?

Vikram Daruru - MSFT

Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hello Jeff,

What is patch level for project server 2010? Can you check the behavior after SP2 + October 2013 CU?

Vikram Daruru - MSFT

Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:15 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Vikram.

We are at the current patch level now (SP2 and October 2013 CU). It seems to have cleared up any new issues from happening however projects that already had the issue don't seem to be fixed. Most of them are close to complete so we plan to archive them very soon to clear up the remainer of the data issues.

Thanks again for the response!

Jeff

Jeff Miller

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

I've seen assignment corruption multiple times when PMs change the tasks or assignments after the resource updates their own in PWA.

PMs should not set zero to forgotten assignments but rather notify resources they need to enter their updates completely.

One more thing that can cause your issue: if the PM sets the % complete to 100% from whatever actual it has, Project will set the remaining work as actual work (which is not true based on what your resources are reporting) thus having differences between project's work and resources' work.

Have in mind that if you are using timesheets to enter both project work and administrative tasks, timesheets saves actuals in different tables.

All this can cause your issue.

Hope it helps.

René Alvarez

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:47 AM