No User State to Restore RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased new computers and I am attempting to image them using MDT 2013. I would like to restore the user profile from the old computer but am running into an issue restoring the user state. Both machines are Windows 7.

I ran a Task Sequence on the old computer to copy the user state to a network drive which is working fine. However when I install the image on the new computer the profile is not copied. The only log message I see is from BDD.log: "No user state to restore, exiting"

The user state exists on a network share: \\MDT\DataShare$\L-TEST. I re-named the user state folder to match the computer name of the new computer.

What am I missing?

Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:28 PM

Answers

• You don't need to rename the folder, but you do need to specify where the user data is. For some reason the picture won't post, so I'll try to post it as soon as I can. When you deploy to the new machine, during the wizard, when you get to the "User Data (Restore)" page, you need to specify the location of the MIG file.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by andrew1vsjklvla Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:09 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:59 PM

All replies

• You don't need to rename the folder, but you do need to specify where the user data is. For some reason the picture won't post, so I'll try to post it as soon as I can. When you deploy to the new machine, during the wizard, when you get to the "User Data (Restore)" page, you need to specify the location of the MIG file.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by andrew1vsjklvla Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:09 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Great thanks. I was trying to use SkipUserData=YES to make it a little more automated but trying it now with SkipUserData=NO. For the path on the User Data (Restore) page do I use "\\MDT\DataShare$\L-TEST" or "\\MDT\DataShare$\L-TEST\USMT\USMT.MIG"
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Just "\\MDT\DataShare$\L-TEST" You don't need to include the USMT part.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:17 PM
  • That worked, thank you!
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hello ,

I have the same problem, but I am storing user's data on network, and nothing is being restored after image is deployed. I even tried to run ztiuserstate.wsf under service account which was failing due to wrong user name and password even thought the credential is correct.

my assumption is MDT is trying to run "Ztiuserstae.wsf /restore" under local administrator account , therefore it fails to run under domain service account.

cs.ini :

SkipUserData=Yes

UserDataLocation=Network
    UDSHARE=\\192.168.203.14\Data\MDT-USERS-DATABackup\DataBackup
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    ScanStateArgs=/ue:* /ui:HRSA\* /v:5 /o /c
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac /lae /ui:HRSA\*
    USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.XML
    USMTMigFiles002=Migdocs.XML

• Edited by Saeidans Thursday, March 29, 2018 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:33 PM