none
completed work as to be after status date even if restrictions prevent this RRS feed

• Question

• While my gantt has nice priorities and predecessors, reality has been a bit messier. The problem is that if for some reason some work has been done before the predecessor was completed, project automatically assume that It need to schedule everything after the work to be completed even if it is complete. 

I could put the predecessors to FTF instead of FTS because this is actually what happened but this create inefficiencies that I am trying to find in project. So either I use FTF restrictions and then the gantt is not usefull because it could simply calculate the workload of each type of ressources and be doen with it. Or I use FTS and then get a meaningless GANTT because the EV I got, altought at greater cost then planned, is completely ignored. Is there a way to actually get project to work in a way that strive for the perfect but accept messiness as well?

Here is the kind of GANTT i get while trying to level at the moment.

Not very usefull.

NB I use the cloud version of project

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:42 PM

All replies

• Gabriel --

To manually enter progress, I would recommend you enter the Actual Start date of each task, the estimated % Complete value for the work done to date, and when the task finishes enter the Actual Finish date.  I think that might eliminate some of your problems.  Just a thought.  Perhaps the others in this group will have some ideas for you as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, April 17, 2015 4:11 PM