none
IE crashes due to SSL certificate check - Problem with MSVCR80.dll, Version: 8.0.50727.6195 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

On my new laptop (Win7Ultimate-64), I have a strange problem: At my customers site (a very big company), I installed the companies root certificate as trusted root auth in IE, and now if I call a website using an SSL certificate signed by this root cert, IE crashes. The event data logged is not very specific:

iexplore.exe
    4ce7a313
    MSVCR80.dll
    4dcdd833
    c000000d
    000000000001df0d
    01ce604f21e80aa4
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_88e41e092fab0294\MSVCR80.dll
    5fd73c0b-cc42-11e2-bd5e-2cd05a8630c2

The only reason why IE8 is listed is that I uninstalled IE10 and afterwards IE9 for the same error - without success (so, it's not really an IE issue, or at least not version specific).

Needless to say that importing the cert in Nightly and calling the same sides works like a charm. Also needless to say that on my old laptop, I had the same setup (OK, no IE10 but IE9), and never had such an issue. Also, the installed software is the same (on the new laptop, some things are even missing which had been installed on the old one over the time). The installation order might be different though.

Uninstalling the certificate "works" in the sense that if I click to ignore the SSL warning, the content is shown (but this is more than annoying, and I need the cert for other purposes, too, for example for Outlook/ExchangeServerConnection etc pp).

Just checked on my old laptop with listdlls.exe: There the IE9 uses VC90 (9.0.30729.6161) instead!!

Any idea? Obviously, the problem is a combination of the specific certificate (other https-connections do work like a charm in IE, too) and the MSVCR80.dll 8.0.50727.6195. How to correct this? How to tell IE to use another version?

Thanks in advance
    Detlev

PS: And yes, I have already disabled all Add-Ons, this does not change anything. From an analysis perspective, it would be great to have a tool which signals which program is responsible for calling VC80 - if it is not IE directly, still it might be something in the background...!?
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer. I have made some more analysis, the best pointer to the solution was ProcMon, checking what happened immediately before MSVCR80 was loaded --> there happened different things with Entrust Security Client.

In fact, this was a new version compared to my old laptop. 9.1 does not work and lead to the crashes. 8.0 works.

So, solved.

Besr regards
    Detlev

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Detlev,

check the customers' WU history.... have they any missing/uninstalled updates....

My guess is that they have not installed the upgrades to MSVC9 and/or they are using an early build or home edition of win7.... I searched my machines and found no references to that version.... perhaps they have the Google toolbar installed that has corrupted the registry pointers.... Commonly old versions of the GTB caused MVC runtime errors in IE's elevated security modes.

versioning of dll libraries is automatic and is directed by the currentversion pointer in the registry, there should be no application version dependencies... as has been seen on your laptop where it works using v9

I have no entries in my winsxs folder for either v8 or 9... see this explanation of the winsxs folder http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:06 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer. I have made some more analysis, the best pointer to the solution was ProcMon, checking what happened immediately before MSVCR80 was loaded --> there happened different things with Entrust Security Client.

In fact, this was a new version compared to my old laptop. 9.1 does not work and lead to the crashes. 8.0 works.

So, solved.

Besr regards
    Detlev

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:17 PM