none
Tape Contents have wierd Expires On values RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am experiencing an issue that is causing me some grief. We have been running DPM for a couple months now, for the most part without issue. My issue is currently, my tapes are not expiring when they should. When I view the Tape Contents, for the most part, the data contained on the tape will expire when it should. But there are a couple of line items that don't expire for a couple days, in some cases a week. This, of course, means that the tape is unusable by dpm.

    I have download the force tape to expire powershell and ran that yesterday, but then ran into more headaches after that. DPM still won't use that tape, and I have been unable to erase it, as it seems to get "stuck" in the drive so to speak. By stuck, I mean I have to restart the server to release whatever hold dpm has on it after a failed attempt to backup, inventory, or erase.

    My setup:

    • DPM 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 with the provided sql instance, all fully patched. This is connected to an HP LTO-3 tape 8 slot tape drive.
    • Daily full backups to tape. These backups consist of data that is robocopied to the dpm server and backed up directly to tape, and not synced to dpm. This also includes full BMR of a couple servers which are both synced to dpm and backed up to tape. This of course is setup in two different protection groups to facilitate this backup scheme, with the same Long Term protection goals to allow Co-Location of data on tape.

    My issues:

    • DPM is no longer expiring tapes on time. It ran fine for the first two months maybe, and now I am running into this issue. I have four sets of tapes that are rotated out weekly. Our Protection Goals is four weeks retention of data. So the tapes "should" be expiring on the day they are to be used again and ready to go.
    • I ran the force tape to expire powershell script without issues. Now, I am having problems manipulating the tape that I performed this on. When ever I try and erase, inventory, backup, or mark as free, the function fails while the tape is in the drive, and I can no longer do anything without restarting the server to get the tape back into the slots.

    Additional funcationality questions:

    • I believe I have found the answer to this question before, but just want to re-ask. Is it possible to force dpm to use a new tape for each full backup? This way, since we perform a full daily backup, the tapes would have a full backup for each day of the week on a new tape. Granted, we don't fully utilize the LTO-3 tape to its fullest, but its more of a legacy situation in how backupexec allowed us to perform the backups.

    Thanks!
    • Edited by Craig R3 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:26 PM

Answers

  • Closing for housekeeping.

    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:16 PM
    Moderator