none
Restoring SQLServer 2005 DB backup files on SQLServer 2012 results in Message 3242 (not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set). RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    A client sent me DB backup files from SQLServer 2005 and I'm trying to restore them on SQLServer 2012.

My counterpart has confirmed that the files can successfully be restored to SQLServer 2005, so the files are not corrupted.

However when I try to restore them on SQLServer 2012, some can be restored successfully, but two of the files result in Message 3242 (not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set).

I have tried changing the compatibility level of the target DB to SQLServer 2005(90), but without luck.

Other factors that may be affecting are;
    1) Difference in versions: The online MSDN document states that you can restore a DB from a database backup from 2005 to 2012, but I'm wondering if there are any restrictions.
    2) File sizes are large: The failing backup files are 30GB and 100GB, whereas the files that I could restore successfully are 12GB at the largest.

Has anyone come across such an issue?
    I'd appreciate any insight as to what I can do to resolve this issue.

Errors that I'm seeing:

RESTORE DATABASE xxxx FROM DISK=yyyy WITH FILE=1, RECOVERY, REPLACE
    results in Message 3183: RESTORE detected an error on page (0:0)

RESTORE DATABASE xxxx FROM DISK=yyyy WITH FILE=1, CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR, RECOVERY, REPLACE
    results in Message 3242: The file on device yyyy is not a valid Microsoft Tape Format backup set

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Can it be that the files are considered corrupted only on SQLServer 2012?  What I mean is since my counterpart confirmed that both files were restorable on SQLServer 2005, the files may not be considered corrupted on SQLServer 2005, but SQLServer 2012 still thinks they are corrupted, due to version inconsistency, large file size, complicated database structures, or something of that nature?

Can something like that happen?  That's the only thing that's making me hesitate to tell them to make a new 100GB backup, because they already made an objection against my speculation about files being corrupted, saying that they could restore them just fine on SQLServer 2005.

I'd appreciate any additional insight.

Thank you,
    Sari

How sure you are that file which they have restored is EXACTLY same? Even a single byte change is a damage. 

How the file was transferred to you? I would suggest to zip the backup file and then transfer it. Make sure you unzip using same software which they have used to zip.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

Since you are receiving error 3183,that backup file is corrupted. Please tell them to perform a new backup and send it to you. Please read about those errors on the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645601(v=SQL.105).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since you are receiving error 3183,that backup file is corrupted. Please tell them to perform a new backup and send it to you. Please read about those errors on the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645601(v=SQL.105).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hello,

Can it be that the files are considered corrupted only on SQLServer 2012?  What I mean is since my counterpart confirmed that both files were restorable on SQLServer 2005, the files may not be considered corrupted on SQLServer 2005, but SQLServer 2012 still thinks they are corrupted, due to version inconsistency, large file size, complicated database structures, or something of that nature?

Can something like that happen?  That's the only thing that's making me hesitate to tell them to make a new 100GB backup, because they already made an objection against my speculation about files being corrupted, saying that they could restore them just fine on SQLServer 2005.

Thank you,
    Sari

Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you,
    Sari

How sure you are that file which they have restored is EXACTLY same? Even a single byte change is a damage. 

How the file was transferred to you? I would suggest to zip the backup file and then transfer it. Make sure you unzip using same software which they have used to zip.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

The files were copied to a hard disk and handed over to me.

OK, so I suppose neither the difference in versions nor the large file sizes affects the result, although the larger files may have more chance in getting corrupted during the file transfer due to longer time it takes to actually transfer the files.  My counterpart will get me a set of new files, and hopefully they will get restored successfully.   If that doesn't work, I'll ask them to zip them as you suggested. 

Thank you for your helpful comments.

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:39 AM