One laptop downloads the update but won't install them RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, I have a user who goes out to different locations to do presentations and she takes a laptop with her. I went to get her laptop so I could get it updated for both AV and Windows updates.

It is in need of Windows updates, and it downloads the updates, but I can't get it to install those updates. I've checked and it's in the same OU as the rest of my laptops and they're all getting updated. I've tried manually running the updates but same story -- download but no install.

I've tried the StopWuauServ and delete SoftwareDistribution and StartWuauServ then running wuauclt /detectnow and wuauclt /reportnow but no joy. No errors pop up when I run updates manually, it just downloads them and stops.

Any ideas on how to get this laptop updated?

Thanks,

Joe B

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi JBruyet,

What account do you use to install the update for the laptop? Could Administrator account install the update successfully?

Could you provide a screenshot of the issue?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 5:38 AM
  • Hi JBruyet,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Hi Anne,

No, not even the administrator can install the updates. There are no error messages but I finally had an event show up in the event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          5/10/2017 8:35:17 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      LapIT.link.com
    Description:
    Faulting application name: svchost.exe_wuauserv, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899b1c
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.103, time stamp: 0x57b7e207
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000e3051
    Faulting process id: 0x109c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c99c8d18d522
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 09b356f6-0c94-490a-8503-01767e5af968
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-05-10T15:35:17.816488700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>236761</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>LapIT.link.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>svchost.exe_wuauserv</Data>
        <Data>10.0.14393.0</Data>
        <Data>57899b1c</Data>
        <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
        <Data>10.0.14393.103</Data>
        <Data>57b7e207</Data>
        <Data>c0000409</Data>
        <Data>00000000000e3051</Data>
        <Data>109c</Data>
        <Data>01d2c99c8d18d522</Data>
        <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
        <Data>09b356f6-0c94-490a-8503-01767e5af968</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Below is a screen shot showing that the updates were downloaded but they're just sitting there waiting.

Thanks,

Joe B

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:46 PM
  • Hey all, I have a user who goes out to different locations to do presentations and she takes a laptop with her. I went to get her laptop so I could get it updated for both AV and Windows updates.

It is in need of Windows updates, and it downloads the updates, but I can't get it to install those updates. I've checked and it's in the same OU as the rest of my laptops and they're all getting updated. I've tried manually running the updates but same story -- download but no install.

I've tried the StopWuauServ and delete SoftwareDistribution and StartWuauServ then running wuauclt /detectnow and wuauclt /reportnow but no joy. No errors pop up when I run updates manually, it just downloads them and stops.

Any ideas on how to get this laptop updated?

Thanks,

Joe B

Make sure that the laptop is in a WSUS group that has updates approved to the group. WSUS does not really care about OU.
    Also, since this is a windows 10 laptop you may need to check to sure you are on the correct build before updating.
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:47 PM
  • Hello MigrationUser 1,

I did the sfc and dism steps, then I did the clean boot and tried the updates and this machine downloaded to 99% and just sat there for over an hour. Per the HDD LED there was no hard drive activity.

I was able to generate the update log. After paring it down from about 15,500 entries to a little over 1,800 by Date I wasn't able to find anything definitive until I found some entries for the clean boot attempt:

WebServices     WS error: There was an error communicating with the endpoint at 'http://srv-appy:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx'.
    WebServices     WS error: There was an error sending the HTTP request.
    WebServices     WS error: Unrecognized error occurred in the Windows Web Services framework.
    WebServices     WS error: An internal error occurred in the Microsoft Windows HTTP Services
    WebServices     Web service call failed with hr = 8024044a.
    WebServices     Current service auth scheme=0.
    WebServices     Current Proxy auth scheme=0.

Does this tell anyone anything important?

Thanks,

Joe B

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Hi JBruyet,

>WebServices     Web service call failed with hr = 8024044a.

Is there a proxy between the WSUS client and the WSUS server? If yes, please check if the proxy's settings are correct.

Also check if you could open the following link in Explorer:

http://srv-appy:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx

If not, we need to check the network connection between the client and the WSUS server, and check if the WSUS site is well in IIS.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:19 AM