Ask for change password RRS feed

• Question

• Dear

We have the following setup:

• On-prem AD synced to AzureAD with AzureADConnect
    • Mailboxes are in Exchange Online
    • No password sync, we use ADFS
    • The outlook client is installed on a computer that is member of another domain      than the user domain
    • We only have the ADFS server, no Windows ADFS proxy server. Instead, we have      an F5 https reverse proxy/load balancer
    • The end user only uses his/her local installed Outlook client

The problem we have is that the end user never gets a warning that his/her password becomes expired. Is there a way to get a popup in the local Outlook client to ask to change the password? We have it seen only once, but we don’t know how to implement this. See below.

Thanks for the feedback
    Regards
    Peter

Peter Van Keymeulen, IT Infrastructure Solution Architect, www.edeconsulting.be

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

All in all, we cannot change password from Outlook client, we should to change it from web side(OWA/Microsoft Online Portal).

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 1, 2019 5:12 AM

All replies

• Dear

We have the following setup:

• On-prem AD synced to AzureAD with AzureADConnect
    • Mailboxes are in Exchange Online
    • No password sync, we use ADFS
    • The outlook client is installed on a computer that is member of another domain      than the user domain
    • We only have the ADFS server, no Windows ADFS proxy server. Instead, we have      an F5 https reverse proxy/load balancer
    • The end user only uses his/her local installed Outlook client

The problem we have is that the end user never gets a warning that his/her password becomes expired. Is there a way to get a popup in the local Outlook client to ask to change the password? We have it seen only once, but we don’t know how to implement this. See below.

Thanks for the feedback
    Regards
    Peter

I have never seen a popup for Outlook like that. If you cant connect, Outlook will either prompt for a password or it will say it needs a password on the lower right bar of the program where it shows connection info. 

Also, hopefully you have implemented Modern Auth in ExO.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Hello , 

I have come across the below mentioned links where they have mentioned these kind of password prompts will be shown only for Federated users who are not using domain joined machines and are synchronizing their Active Directory info with the Office 365 Identity management system.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2012/09/11/office-365-password-expiration-notifications-in-outlook/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uspartner_ts2team/2012/10/08/outlook-password-expiration-notification-in-office-365/

Please check the information's provided in above links you may get some idea about this issue.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Hello , 

I have come across the below mentioned links where they have mentioned these kind of password prompts will be shown only for Federated users who are not using domain joined machines and are synchronizing their Active Directory info with the Office 365 Identity management system.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2012/09/11/office-365-password-expiration-notifications-in-outlook/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/uspartner_ts2team/2012/10/08/outlook-password-expiration-notification-in-office-365/

Please check the information's provided in above links you may get some idea about this issue.

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Those are pretty old and refer to versions of Outlook that shouldnt be used in Exchange online however
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Thanks !

Indeed, that's the point. We're using Outlook 2016.
    I'll try with an old client and come back to you with the results.

Peter

Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Thanks !

Indeed, that's the point. We're using Outlook 2016.
    I'll try with an old client and come back to you with the results.

Peter

Right, so you wont see the prompts like that from what I have seen with the newer and supported clients.
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Yes. I want the users to get the prompt that clearly says they need to change the password and are redirected when clicking on the button. <o:p></o:p>

Today, the users only get a popup to enter their password, while they do not know why they are prompted for the password. Entering the password makes no sense as it has been expired.

Peter<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Yes. I want the users to get the prompt that clearly says they need to change the password and are redirected when clicking on the button. <o:p></o:p>

Today, the users only get a popup to enter their password, while they do not know why they are prompted for the password. Entering the password makes no sense as it has been expired.

Peter<o:p></o:p>

Yes, but if you find that only the old clients will surface that specific prompt, then you will be using clients that are very old and arent supported with Modern Auth in Exchange Online.Thats all I saying. Outlook 2010 can only be used with Basic Authenticayion (unsafe) and will be out support next year.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

All in all, we cannot change password from Outlook client, we should to change it from web side(OWA/Microsoft Online Portal).

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 1, 2019 5:12 AM