none
Sharepoint - Confirm if the ConfigureSharePointUtility has been run RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our SharePoint backup has not been configured correctly.  This was originally setup before I took over.  A protection group has been configured to back up all the databases on the SharePoint database server and not configured by selecting the SharePoint option via the web front end server. 

When I try to select the SharePoint option via the WFE server, I receive an error.  This is probably because all the databases are selected manually via another protection group, or there was a problem when the SharePoint utility was run.

Firstly, how can I confirm the configuresharepoint utility has been run on the WFE server for both SharePoint and SharePoint search?

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

• If in doubt, you can easily just run the command again.  It will either add the correct information in DCOM or it will overwrite the information that is already there.  This is probably the easiest way.  The second option is to open DCOMCnfg and navigate to the DCOM -> WSSCmdletsWrapper and look at the account it is configured with.  The only thing really needed is that this account is an administrator in the SharePoint farm.

It sounds though like the main issue may be that you still have at least one of the content databases in a protection group (either active or inactive).  If DPM detects that one of the databases is already protected, it won't allow the SharePoint enumeration.

The easy way to check that would be to try to protect the SQL server again and see if any of the content databases don't have the option to select for protection.  If the option isn't there, then they are already protected.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by Al- Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:52 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• Ok, If I run vssadmin list writers on each web front end server, I can see the sharepoint services writer is listed (Below). Even though this is listed, it doesn't confirm if the configuresharepoint utility has been run.

Can anyone help please?

Writer name: 'SharePoint Services Writer'
       Writer Id: {da452614-4858-5e53-a512-38aab25c61ad}
       Writer Instance Id: {27f08acf-8201-404b-896c-0faf774e31d4}
       State: [1] Stable
       Last error: No error

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:37 PM
  • If in doubt, you can easily just run the command again.  It will either add the correct information in DCOM or it will overwrite the information that is already there.  This is probably the easiest way.  The second option is to open DCOMCnfg and navigate to the DCOM -> WSSCmdletsWrapper and look at the account it is configured with.  The only thing really needed is that this account is an administrator in the SharePoint farm.

It sounds though like the main issue may be that you still have at least one of the content databases in a protection group (either active or inactive).  If DPM detects that one of the databases is already protected, it won't allow the SharePoint enumeration.

The easy way to check that would be to try to protect the SQL server again and see if any of the content databases don't have the option to select for protection.  If the option isn't there, then they are already protected.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by Al- Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:52 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:29 PM