none
Saving File With New Name Causes Series of Errors and Invalid File RRS feed

• Question

• Here's a consistent problem saving existing files with new names with Project 2010. Whenever I save an existing file as a new name I get a consistent series of errors. Will tried attaching all 3 screen shots but this discussion board is limiting me to 2, so just attaching the first 2 references below:

1. Save esting file (let's call it Rev 7) with new file name (let's call it Rev 8). MPP icon put on desktop but in saving get comment that the file Rev 8 can't be opened (but hadn't asked for an Open, just a Save)
    2. so I close any open projects and try to open the new one, but it says it's locked for editing. Would have to Open as read Only. To "release the file" I have to shut down Project.
    3. After opening Project and try to open that same new Rev 8 file it says there was an unexpected problem and file may be damaged. Try using a backup.
    4. I delete the Rev 8 file and icon.
    5. Then I go back the the original file (Rev 7), open it again, and save as Rev 8 again, and it saves/opens/works fine.

This happens everytime.

I can open other old schedules into MSP 2010 (all proior schedules were prepared using MSP2007), and they seem to save/open fine.

Iam using the trial version of 2010 and still have 2007 installed. I was told that they could co-exist as long as both not being used at same time. I was trying to move away from 2007 because it was crashing my files constantly. I was told to upgrade.

Running Windows 7 64 bit O/S.

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:48 PM

Answers

• Larry,

I don't what you did but this post still shows as unanswered. Please try again.

John

• Marked as answer by LarryfromVegas Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:17 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:57 AM

All replies

• I had the read only problem a while back, but it was Citrix related. Check network quality as network problems can cause all sorts of problems.

Make sure you have SP1 installed.

There may be a file corruption (is this the only file suffering this problem?). If so, save to xml them re-open from xml and choose new project from the import wizard.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:43 PM
  • i had a similar problem you described a while back. my proble was due to the cutting and pasting of tasks in between schedules.. have you done this possibly? have you tried exporting to xml and re-importing to mpp?
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:57 AM
  • Nikki/Rod,

Thx for your replies.

Not network related problem. Am storing all files on my local PC.

Am doing a lot of cut/paste of activities but not involving other projects---only internal to this one. But have a lot of nested items that are being moved from one paretn group to others and chnging of indent/outdents to fit the structure.

If software can't handle cut/copy/paste operations---even from other projects---it's got bugs.

I will try the XML export sometime soon. I had 2 deadlines to meet and just met the first 1. Will try to tidy up and restart with new XML import after the deadline crisis is past.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Larry,

Just for reference, saving as XML is method 3 of FAQ 43 and according to your other post, you already tried those methods. But, it can't hurt to try again.

John

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Yes, John, I had tried that before and it no affect on the logic loops I was getting.

This was a new problem having to do with file saving, so I thought I'd try it again. The last time I did the XML import, I didn't save it, so am working with the same file that I had before. The only difference is that I had "fixed" the file by adding dleeting the activites as mentioned in the other thread, but i still have the saem file.

So I am hopeful that the XML import will cure everything this time.

But when I create the new file, will I be able to import my saved groupings, filters, views, etc. that I am using on the current project? I'm hoping much will be restored with the XML import and the balance (Groups and Filters) can be obtained from the Organizer.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Larry,

As I recall Methods 1 & 2 preserve all custom settings, methods 3 & 4 do not. However, sometimes the source of the corruption is manifest in one or more of the custom settings. That's why I tell users to try all the methods (except for method 5 which is much more complex). If the first 3 don't solve the problem, (note that method 2 does not apply to Project 2007 & up), method 4 might.

I hope it works for you.

By the way, in an earlier post you expressed the idea that if the the application couldn't handle cut/copy/paste operations, it has bugs. I do not agree with that and especially with Project. Project is very different from other Office applications in that it is a highly customized database where all objects interact. Moving stuff around using copy and paste operations can wreak havoc with Project's scheduling engine and lead to circular relationships or corruption of the underlying database. Editing Project files using cut/copy and paste is the less desirable approach, delete and insert or drag and drop generally cause fewer problems. At least that's my humble opinion.

John

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Larry, Pls try this: change filename and remove comma and brackets.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Brilliant. That worked! Thanks a lot!

So it IS a bug since the s/w won't alloe saving with normal file naming conventions.

I have another possible bug to report. What forum do I post that?

I also have some s/w feature suggestions. What forum do I post those?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hey John--all my cut-paste operations were done through dragging; not a real cut-paste. (Actually I thought in the background, that those were equivalent, but I guess they aren't.

This is a scheule and if we can't move tasks around, it doesn't do me a lot of good. I don't do real simple schedules; these are complex construction schedules with several hundred---even1000 activites at times. Need to be able to move tasks around to get desired results.

That IS why we use software instead of paper these days.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Larry,

As far as I know copy/cut and paste is not the same as drag and drop. As I understand it the first uses external temporary storage (scratchpad memory), whereas the latter is direct re-arrangement of the existing Project database.

As I mentioned Project is very "intertwined" and even using normal edit methods can get the user into trouble. My best advice is to save often and I personally use Save As to the same file name.

The bottom line, it sound like Project User solved this issue. Please give him credit by marking his response as the answer. If you have more issues, create a new post.

John

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:24 PM
  • I gave that credit about 20 minutes ago. You should see it by now.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Larry,

I don't what you did but this post still shows as unanswered. Please try again.

John

• Marked as answer by LarryfromVegas Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:17 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:57 AM

You're welcome.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:17 AM

So it IS a bug since the s/w won't alloe saving with normal file naming conventions.

I have another possible bug to report. What forum do I post that?

I also have some s/w feature suggestions. What forum do I post those?

Larry,

I can't say it is a bug. It seems more like a system related issue. I believe you can report the issue to the product support services at http://support.microsoft.com

To my best knowledge, they do not accept bug reports and suggestions for Project 2010 anymore. You can verify here at http://connect.microsoft.com/

You can directly send email to the team using the form here at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/contact.aspx

Why don't you share bug information and feature suggestions here with us. Pls consider it.

Regards.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:46 PM
  • If it were system-related, then I'd expect similar problems with filenaming in other MS-apps. But I save files with commas, brackets and parenth4esisw all the time in Excel and Word. Only recently started using Project 2010 and now the problem occurs.

Although i live in Vegas, I'm not a gambler. But I'd bet good money that it's a bug.

I'd be glad to post my insights of s/w suggestions, possible bugs, and macros here if this is the place to do it.

Very tied up with a big project right now; maybe I can get to this sometime next week.

Tx for your reply.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:52 PM