none
O365 Videos : Unable to save o365 videos for Site Column of type 'Publishing HTML'

Question

• Hi Team,

I am facing issue while adding O365 Video in list/library.

Background:

1. Videos are uploaded to o365 video portal.

2. Created a site column 'O365 Video' to capture videos.

3. Video is added to list item 

Problem: 

1. After saving list item, video embedded code is getting removed from the field.

Note:

• User have the permission for video portal & list item.
    • Tried with IE 11 & Chrome

Please suggest the solution.

I want to save the 0365 video to list item. 

Sandeep Nandey

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:09 AM

Answers

• Deleted my previous comments, judged too early !!

Here are the observations.

1. 'Multiple Line Of Text' site column works , only if its added directly to list or library.When its added to a content type 'Rich Hyper Text' feature gets disabled, so cant add video.

2. 'Publishing HTML' site column works, only if we use OOB site column (e.g Page Content) .If we create custom site column of type 'Publishing HTML' issue still exists.

This is strange.

Sandeep Nandey

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:34 AM

All replies

• You're adding the embedded text to the URL. That field isnt' meant to hold HTML code, just a URL. You could replace the column with a rich text field, that will probably work. I'm trying a few other options out on my dev instance.

Edit: It works when you add the embedded code to a list column of type multiline text (rich text). You can extract the actual URL of the video, which looks something like:

https://domain.sharepoint.com/portals/Placeholder/pVid/MSITSharePointMarch2017.mp4

Which you can add as a link, but it wouldn't be one with a picture display, just a naked HyperLink.  Or you can use the preview image picture which is something like:

https://domain.sharepoint.com/portals/Placeholder/pVid/MSITSharePointMarch2017.mp4.PNG?VideoPreview=1&width=290

But that's just a link to a static image, so no direct use to you. Someone might have another idea though.

Alternatively you can add the 'Video' content type to a library, then add a new video item to it. That content type is designed to do most of what you describe I think? It doesn't work with lists it seems but it might be of use?
    Monday, April 17, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually in current design, we have a Asset Library containing all the videos and as you mentioned earlier we are using Video URL & Preview Image URL to meet the requirement.

The actual requirement is , we have a custom page layout which we are using to capture video with other information.

Everything is working fine, but we wanted to explore the feature of O365 Video Portal.

So we decided to have a video portal containing all videos and we will add this video to custom page layout (Content Type) field .

Now , we are using 'Publishing HTML' site column for capturing HTML for other fields also and we also noticed that this field also allows to add O365 Video:

So , Ideally it should save the embedded code & which is not working. 

Is this a known bug ?

Also, we don't want extra effort for the user/admin to copy video URL from Video Portal and paste that in the field.It will be good if user can directly add the video using same ribbon button.

I will explore the same and will check for other field type.

Thanks again !!

Sandeep Nandey

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:34 AM
  • That sounds like you've solved your issue yourself?
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:41 AM
  • Not Yet !!

I have updated my previous reply.

Meanwhile i am checking other field types.

Sandeep Nandey

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Deleted my previous comments, judged too early !!

Here are the observations.

1. 'Multiple Line Of Text' site column works , only if its added directly to list or library.When its added to a content type 'Rich Hyper Text' feature gets disabled, so cant add video.

2. 'Publishing HTML' site column works, only if we use OOB site column (e.g Page Content) .If we create custom site column of type 'Publishing HTML' issue still exists.

This is strange.

Sandeep Nandey

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:34 AM