none
Resource pool with Sharepoint? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use a Resource pool in MS Project 2007. The files are saved in a Sharepoint environment. I don´t need Project Server and webb-access just the normal use of a Resource pool file with connected projects. How can I do that?
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:14 AM

Answers

• I've written previously here how we do this.  Search for these older postings.

Simply: we store all MPP files, including the resource file, in SharePoint. All users check out from SP to the *same* folder on c: drive, e.g. c:\data\project name. We launch Project with the 'start-in' folder to be the c:\data\project (using a shortcut on desktop). We link all files together, including the resource file so that Project *thinks* all files on c: drive in unchanging file locations. After modifications, we upload and check into SP.  

You can't link files together when they reside in SP as project does not work with HTTP:// file names.  So we use the c: drive.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Agneta,

I think you may be out of luck as you can’t share between projects on SharePoint as it’s not a server as such.  You need to run Project Server if you want to do that or use another form of file sharing.

Cheers,

Tom.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Agneta,

I think you may be out of luck as you can’t share between projects on SharePoint as it’s not a server as such.  You need to run Project Server if you want to do that or use another form of file sharing.

Cheers,

Tom.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I've written previously here how we do this.  Search for these older postings.

Simply: we store all MPP files, including the resource file, in SharePoint. All users check out from SP to the *same* folder on c: drive, e.g. c:\data\project name. We launch Project with the 'start-in' folder to be the c:\data\project (using a shortcut on desktop). We link all files together, including the resource file so that Project *thinks* all files on c: drive in unchanging file locations. After modifications, we upload and check into SP.  

You can't link files together when they reside in SP as project does not work with HTTP:// file names.  So we use the c: drive.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:42 PM