is there a tool to automate archiving of files out of SharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• not familiar with one, getting asked by a PM. They want a tool to automatically pull old data out of SP and place it in an archive
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Archive can have many different meanings depending on where your documents are at in their lifecycle.  Some documents must be kept in near-line storage for quick and easy access for legal requirements, others may be at a stage where they need to be kept for legal reasons, but do not need to be readily accessible and therefore can be stored on tape or a file share. 

If you are looking a Records Management to have a file that is classified as a certain record type to be automatically disposed of then, if you are using MOSS Enterprise edition you can implement a Records Center, define your record types, and the documents can be sent for deletion when they reach their expiration or you can customize a workflow that sends the records elsewhere.

If you are looking to archive a site collection in near-line storage there are some third party vendors that provide archive.  I will state that I do NOT work for any of the vendors I will list.  Notice I am listing them, not recommending one over the other.  Everyone's environment is different and the vendor that one organization chooses may not be appropriate for another environment.  The vendors that I am aware of that provide archiving SharePoint data are AvePoint and COMMVault.  I also have heard that Quest tools is coming out with an archive tool.

Hopefully that helps,

Sincerely,
    Karl
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:11 PM

All replies

• What format would you want to keep the files? I would figure the best bet would be using the stsadm -o backup -filename option to have a "dump" of the site which could be restored in the future.

There are 3rd part migration tools from Quest that you could investigate.
    That's SharePoint for you...
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:49 PM
  • I think they watn to archive files in normal Office formats (Word, Excel, etc) in a file server.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

Archive can have many different meanings depending on where your documents are at in their lifecycle.  Some documents must be kept in near-line storage for quick and easy access for legal requirements, others may be at a stage where they need to be kept for legal reasons, but do not need to be readily accessible and therefore can be stored on tape or a file share. 

If you are looking a Records Management to have a file that is classified as a certain record type to be automatically disposed of then, if you are using MOSS Enterprise edition you can implement a Records Center, define your record types, and the documents can be sent for deletion when they reach their expiration or you can customize a workflow that sends the records elsewhere.

If you are looking to archive a site collection in near-line storage there are some third party vendors that provide archive.  I will state that I do NOT work for any of the vendors I will list.  Notice I am listing them, not recommending one over the other.  Everyone's environment is different and the vendor that one organization chooses may not be appropriate for another environment.  The vendors that I am aware of that provide archiving SharePoint data are AvePoint and COMMVault.  I also have heard that Quest tools is coming out with an archive tool.

Hopefully that helps,

Sincerely,
    Karl
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:11 PM
  • To archive content from SharePoint Online in Office 365 and on premise SharePoint Sites 2019 / 2016 / 2013 / 2010 to local or network drive and file system, you can try Vyapin SharePoint archiving tool - "Dockit Archiver".
    Friday, February 7, 2020 6:14 AM