Recovery ConfigMgr Database in SCCM 2012 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dears,

I wants to backup and restore my configuration SCCM 2012 RTM TO SCCM 2012 R2, I have enabled backup and when I recover new site below errors are coming. hopefully you can help me for that.

during my checking configMgrsSetup.log the message said Make sure ConfigMgr database does not exist before running recovery from backup.

1- The install build version 5.00.8239 being used for recovery does not match the installed build version 5.00.7711 of the backup.

2-

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:54 AM

All replies

• 1) You can't restore to a newer Version of ConfigMgr. I have already told you that in your previous thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9155ac75-f529-4d6c-8209-bcbc979c5e0b/backup-and-restore-sccm-2012?forum=configmanagermigration#7d3b5f64-a85a-46db-bb1e-547cc25372cb

You need to perform the Restore with the same Media, that matches your backed-up Site Version. So, in your Case 5.0.7711. After performing the Restore, you can upgrade to a newer release.

2) You can't perform the Restore to the same DB Server. On this SQL Server is already your current / old DB installed, which has the same name.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Dear Simon all I need I don't want to take all packages or configurations from old one to new one, I only need create new SCCM 2012 r2 sp1 and configure everything again then start deploying windows updates to old packages which already installed in user machines in previous with old version of SCCM 2012 RTM. The question is are the machines taking updates with new SCCM or I have to migrate SCCM2012 RTM DB to the new one? So if this way is working no need to backup and restore. Am I right or wrong? Thanks again.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:56 AM
  • If you perform a Backup & Restore, you don't need to migrate the Clients. If you set up a new Environment, you have to migrate the Clients to the new Site.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Good if I migrate the clients to new environment I have SCCM 2012 RTM but not SP. First I have migrate SCCM 2012 RTM to Sp1 then migrate to SCCM 2012 R2 then doing migration site by site. So if this done are computers getting updates from new SCCM? I mean old CCM packages which already installed?
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Good if I migrate the clients to new environment I have SCCM 2012 RTM but not SP. First I have migrate SCCM 2012 RTM to Sp1 then migrate to SCCM 2012 R2 then doing migration site by site. So if this done are computers getting updates from new SCCM? I mean old CCM packages which already installed?
    The Client only gets Software from the Site, he is assigned to. So, Yes.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 8:54 AM