Word 2010+Outline View not working properly as no tab shows up for this when View> Outline is selected? What to do - need help now - thanks? RRS feed

• Question

• Word 2010+Outline View not working properly as no tab shows up for this when View> Outline is selected? What to do - need help now - thanks?  - bfm

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:04 PM

All replies

• Word 2010+Outline View not working properly as no tab shows up for this when View> Outline is selected? What to do - need help now - thanks?  - bfm

Hi,

Is there any Heading setting for the documents?

If your document doesn’t have headings and subheadings yet, the whole outline will appear as a bulleted list, with a separate bullet for each paragraph. The text in the bullets will show up as body text until you assign headings.

We can refer to the following article to create Heading or edit Heading levels:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Outline-View-to-manage-headings-and-arrange-text-5e4c6831-b495-4aec-a7b8-7899b0ffda04

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:02 AM
  • If the Outlining tab is missing from the ribbon, see if resetting the ribbon fixes the problem. Go to File | Options | Customize Ribbon.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Nov. 15, 2017

Hi Stefan,

I did what you said and then I saw Outlining under the Main Tabs and Outline Tools is there but it is all greyed out?  I think this is because it has not been made active by the person who was in charge of the network - and I cannot seem to make it active or visible no matter what I do.  Can I somehow do this myself - even though it might only be a temporary fix while I am working remotely on the client's network?   If so, please advise how - thanks. - bfm

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Once you have switched to Outline view, the options on the Outlining tab should be available.

Perhaps your client's network has a limitation which prevents you from using certain functions.

See if you can use the built-in shortcuts to promote and demote headings etc.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, November 17, 2017 7:56 AM