Vista Business to Vista Ultimate Upgrade Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem when I try to upgrade. The programm says that it cannot perform an upgrade (but can do a new installation) because front page server extensions are installed. I cannot figure out how to remove front page server extensions as they do not show up in a list of programs installed or under the list of windows components.  I had never heard of Front Page Server nor have I ever installed it.

Please can somebody help.

I have posted this on the Windows Migration forum but no success there in getting an answer.  

Regards

TJ

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue can occur if FrontPage Server extensions are incompatible with Windows Vista. Before upgrading to Windows Vista, I suggest running Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor first. It will report all known system, device, and program compatibility issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

Please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

In this case, I recommend backing up your important files and then performing a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

However, if you prefer to perform an Upgrade Install of Windows Vista, you may need to remove FrontPage Server extensions first. If you would like to know how to remove FrontPage Server extensions, you can consult it in our FrontPage Server Extensions newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

FrontPage Server Extensions newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.frontpage.extensions.windowsnt&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can occur if FrontPage Server extensions are incompatible with Windows Vista. Before upgrading to Windows Vista, I suggest running Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor first. It will report all known system, device, and program compatibility issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

Please understand that upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista will sometimes cause driver and incompatible third-party software issues. In the previous installation (Windows XP), many registry settings have been modified when installing third-party software. During an upgrade, these registry entries are retained, which can cause system issues after upgrading. Therefore, an upgrade install is only recommended for systems that have a simple and clean software environment. (A clean environment means a system with few third-party programs and un-signed hardware drivers installed.)

In this case, I recommend backing up your important files and then performing a Clean Install of Windows Vista.

However, if you prefer to perform an Upgrade Install of Windows Vista, you may need to remove FrontPage Server extensions first. If you would like to know how to remove FrontPage Server extensions, you can consult it in our FrontPage Server Extensions newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

FrontPage Server Extensions newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.frontpage.extensions.windowsnt&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, May 9, 2008 3:17 AM
  • Friday, September 5, 2008 2:24 PM